Sika Stag

Out on saturday night and run into this big bugger! Watched him for a while with a group of other stags which i must say were also good beasts.

Could not believe the size of him when i caught up with him, he disappered into a plantation after i shot him, glad i had my dog with me! must have took me two and half hours to get him to my motor, i really understand the meaning of the word DEAD WEIGHT!!!!! all part of the stalk for me also though.:oops:

Highland game confirmed yesterday that he is a 143lb larder weight.

DSC_0154.jpgDSC_0156.jpg_SCF5224.jpgDSC_0153.jpg

Last edited:
Thats a good larder weight for up your way I would have thought, the heaviest i have shot was 150lbs larder weight in Dorset, but at least I had a couple of mates there to help pull the bugger out and onto the quad.

I have been speaking to few guys over the weekend who shoot a lot of Sika in the Borders and they also confirmed that he is a big boy for this area also! I have never seen a Sika with is much fat on it, i had to scoop it out when carrying out the gralloch. You can compare his size to the Red's he is hanging next to in the van.

Last edited:
Thats a good sika you shot there, the heaviest sika i have seen shot in wicklow was 170lbs in the larder.

wicklow202

Yep same with mine loads of fat, mind you they have some large areas of Maize to munch on so that helps. I was speaking to the gamedealer at the time I took mine in and he reckons that he has had the odd one of 170lbs larder weight in the past.

Am off down there shortly so hope to catch up with some good weights again. Best of luck to you for the remaining part of the year.

Sikamalc

That's a bloody cracker, never had one as big as that, his size really shows up when you compare hime to the reds hanging next to him, well done. Hards as nails as you found out, they need anchoring or they run as you also found out :D

John

Nice stag there Von, those were my 2 reds in the van and I know how hard they were to get off the clear fell, you must have had a good bit of exercise there, where did you shoot him if you don't mind me asking

Bet that fat fecker ran on a bit. What a big lad. What did you stop him with and how far did he travel after the shot??

Have you measured the length and span of the antlers yet? Hard to tell from pictures but there appears to be a good weight about the antler as well. Rough guide is 50cm in length and span of 40cm to get into medal class but that is obviously just a starting point.

Around the 140lb mark is about the top of the weight range in the borders but some obviously go a bit bigger. I cannot remember the exact weight but a friend shot a hind several years ago that went 80lbs. Biggest stag I am aware of in borders area was 160lbs+.

We shot a young spiker the other night and larder weight was dead on 60lbs with very little fat in him but superb condition otherwise. Some of the bigger stags are really impressive just now. Friends of mine who have been out with me are really surprised at the size of the sika hinds on us. Best eating as well!!!

I know a lot will agrue the point but to save myself the grief, even with a dog, I shoot all my sika whenever possible in the neck. Especially in the last light.

Last edited:
Hi Norseman i shot him in Peebleshire on one of my permissions. 308boy: rifle used .308 tika with 150g Hornady SST homeload. He must have run an easy 200yrds into another patch of forestry. It then took me half an hour with dog to find him. I would not have found it without dog!

I thought about a neck shot Jamross but after ranging it it was out of my league!! Just stuck one in the engine room and hoped for the best. Totally agree though if the distance is right i would also plug one in the neck, major bad experiances of looking for Sika in the past.

I thought about a neck shot Jamross but after ranging it it was out of my league!! Just stuck one in the engine room and hoped for the best. Totally agree though if the distance is right i would also plug one in the neck, major bad experiances of looking for Sika in the past.

:thumb:

Neck is ok if you have a clear view and are near enough with Sika, but on the last knockings of light I tell all my clients to break the shoulders on a Stag and put it on the floor. I admit a neck shot will do it, but if you are too low on the neck on the very edge of light you will have a job finding it as it will run further and longer than most deer, and without a dog you are not going to get it.

Trouble with Sika is they do have the greatest tenacity for life and as I always say they aint dead until they are hanging up in the chiller :D

They are to me the most challenging of all the deer, and a great experience to hunt in the rut.

All the best to you all that have Sika, good luck for the forth coming rut.

A very fine trophy with wide inside span and long tines none of which are damaged or broken.
It should do well when measured.
What is the average length of the main beams and the inside span taken at the widest point between the main beams ?

Jap Sika :- Bronze medal 225 CIC points, Silver 240 and Gold 255 .

According to the CIC formula inside`Span Credit` must not exceed length of longer antler.

HWH.

Thats him Al,you jammy sod,i guess i should have told you i never saw anything on sat morning:lol::lol:,you will have to save me another for when i get home.....

Well done mate

Back