And still they keep coming

cockerdog

Had a stake out on some rape stubble last night which lead to some very exciting shooting, this lot were taken over about a 45 minute period, my total for the year so far is 76 and im still amazed at the amount im seeing.

what's your trick? I keep smelling and randomly spotting glimpses of foxes on my grounds, but no matter what time of day I'm out, I very rarely see them out and about in a shootable position...I know there's plenty too! ARGH>>>

I have tried a few different squeeks and calls, but to no avail...and the farmer's not liking me putting feeding/bait stations out.

any tips?

Ive been most successfull this year by not trawling over thousands of acres in the hope of spotting them but instead sitting quietly where I know foxes are active and just waiting with the night vision. All areas will have hot spots which attract fox activity, once you identify them spend most of your time watching them. The field these were shot on has been very productive over the years and always seems to hold foxes, its just a pity there are trees in the way otherwise i would be able to sit upstairs in the house and shoot them.

Years ago I realised that you get as many by waiting in one or two chosen spots than chasing all over the countryside. You hear of some who shoot a load of foxes in one night, these are the exceptions. Most only shoot the odd one or two when they go out.
Foxes cover a wide area and most fields in areas where there are foxes will get a visit most nights. Wait there and particularly if you have NV you will get one. More patience, less effort, same result. Not for all I know, but it works.

Another good night then cockerdog. :thumb: Might have to invest in some NV myself. Got problems here with the local hunt lads driving around the country roads, spotting charlie and then purposely shooting by the side of then to make then lamp shy. Now the phessies are down its becoming a concern and driving me scatty :cuckoo:
ATB Gaz (nice highseats by the way)

snares kill foxes , how many could you look at in 2 or 3 hours , and they dont mind waiting

Very true Trouble, and snares I do use on the shoot, but I dont have the time to snare all the land I control foxes on and it takes dedication to be able for many out there to check a snare line first thing every morning, plus pitting you wits against charlie with a rifle is much more interesting.

Yes snares are undoubtably easy to set and are always waiting for their quary. But unfortunatley we are inundated with "Newcastle Supporters" here , which are usually caught in the wires first, (and what a bloody mess they make then). I'm in a tourist area with lots of walkers, mountain bikers and bird watchers so cant be unresponsible. Not being able to inspect the snares every morning/couple of hours due to work commitments doesn't really offer me that option.
Gaz

Last edited:
I see more foxes in the late evenings when I am sitting quietly waiting for deer to arrive in the chosen location.I dont shoot them but gee I bloody want too.
Its uncanny how one picks them up sneaking out for their evenings hunt. Here is a preggo vixen that decided to yelp at me (hidden in fern) for 15 minutes or so last week.I will start a sep thread on foxes myself,well worth looking at the pic too.

de5d7588.jpg

snares kill foxes , how many could you look at in 2 or 3 hours , and they dont mind waiting
If one was being pedantic and legal then snares are designed to just "hold" foxes, you actually do the killing but what with the type of snare and the legal bullsh1t... sorry...requirements, you have to abide by nowadays its hardly worth doing.

Got out early on Thursday evening, did something I have'nt done for ages, lamped on the way in to the farm, around 17.50 (trying out the new orange/amber filter),But did not prepare a rifle for ready use!!!... guess who I spotted lurking round the farm buildings, Yup!, Charlie Big Dog, he saw me coming & gave it legs, exit stage right, along a busy dual carriageway verge, So, I decided to go the patience route............. sure enough,20.00 back he came, same route,......... took some squeeking through teeth to coax him away from the roadway & along in front of a huge midden, @ 40 yards a very loud bang was produced by the 55 Nosler SP connecting just behind the shoulder, a straight through and through with big results on the other side, should be an excellent round for Roe at reasonable stalking distances. Just when you think you have had a real big'un, another one comes along.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a great night cockerdog!:thumb:

Got problems here with the local hunt lads driving around the country roads, spotting charlie and then purposely shooting by the side of then to make then lamp shy. Now the phessies are down its becoming a concern and driving me scatty :cuckoo:
ATB Gaz (nice highseats by the way)

Your kidding me! Never heard of that.

Back