Land Issues

Lonescout

Well he's the rub, my FAC is up for renewal as we speak and my Firearms Officer visited today. Security and everything turned out to be OK (no change there), the downer is that the land I have on my ticket is no longer suitable (as nominated land) for 22.250. I have an 'open ticket' so have been able to shoot on spec as required. My work means that I am not in a position to give a land owner the time required for regular vermin control, but for the occaisions I am able to get out I would like to retain the condition on my ticket.

Your advice/assistance would be greatly appreciated.

How is "Land no longer suitable"?????????, Also, if your "Ticket" has conditions on it such as land suitabilities / named bits etc, then it is not "Open " . :doh:

Local development has changed the suitability, my other land I have chosen not to nominate as it is unfair on the farmer if I take up 'space' that could be used by a shooter in a better position to control vermin on a regular basis. The ticket is open such that I have the condition to shoot over whatever land I deem suitable with the land owners permission. I do, however have to have a nominated piece of land suitable for the most powerful calibre I wish to shoot. My Police Authority may differ in their interpretation/application to those in other parts of the country.

What he is saying is he has a open ticket, but the land he uses to zero, and as his main shooting ground has to be passed for the largest calibre he owns. This is common with police forces.

I was the understanding if you had open ticket you could shoot any where as long as you had landowners perm.The onus is on you for the safety aspect could be wrong though.

Yes you are correct you can BUT on renewal the applicant must demonstrate that he has somewhere sutable to use it. ie land that is sutable for his chosen caliber.

My advice would be for the OP to use his "second string" landowner as more than one person may use a peice of land to substanciate their application/renewal.

This is a nonsense and its about time the shooting organisations took this whole issue of land "suitability" (and for that matter, accceptable calibres for various quarry) to a judicial review.
Land is neither safe nor unsafe.
Calibres are neither appropriate nor inappropriate.
It is the person that ensures safety.
This whole thing has been manipulated by the Police on the "Good Reason" and "without danger to the public or the peace".
A good reason is a firearm for deer stalking; pest control; sporting purposes, plinking or whatever. A place to shoot is not part of the good reason but only supports it. But, like golf, we can shoot by simply paying a fee.
Public safety rests purely on the individual.
The reality is, what is wrong/criminal about shooting tin cans with a 375H&H (other than pure cost) as long as there is a good backstop but the police will never grant you a certificate for one.

On a recent variation, in the section where you have to declare where the guns will be used I wrote "on land where I have lawful authority of the landowner and on approved ranges"

On a recent variation, in the section where you have to declare where the guns will be used I wrote "on land where I have lawful authority of the landowner and on approved ranges"

bet you could've worded it "on land with no authority from landowner and in MOT approved garages", and they'd probably have stamped it with approval! LOL

Back