first head for me

webby954

well i got my first buck although just a small buck im going to wall mount it as its my first i have boiled it out and is now waiting to be peroxided tomorrow i know how that goes but was wondering how you guys cut yours for the wall plaques do you use a normal hacksaw with fine blade in or another method and how much do you cut off the skull

cheers webby

This might help, or ask someone who's cut one before to do it for you ;)

Carcass: Trophy preparation

If not using a jig I'd mark it lightly in pencil on both sides and then cut. Try and use a decent hacksaw that doesn't flex too much. I'm sure others will have other ideas.

Hold on the board (plaque) with either a clamp (these can be bought for a couple of quid), or use a small self tapper after drilling a pilot hole. If your not confident with doing this on your heid I've used grab adhesive in the past which wasn't visible.

Last edited:
Cut before boiling you can buy a jig and saw for doing this or do it free hand its not that hard, a woodsaw such as a sandvik is fine for cutting them, a hack saw is not ideal.

Decide on the cut you want long nose, short nose or skull top best to get someone to show you the cuts, failing that
you will get the idea from some of the stalking books pretty sure it shows you the cuts in Richard Priors Roe Deer
Managment and Stalking and several others though I can't remember which offhand.

Back