Started the Kopov training tracking

Jagare

Niko my slovensky Kopov is nearly 6 months old. Very happy with him so far. He is a strong willed dog and i have to make him do what i want in a gentle way. It would not take much for him to take control. He walks well on a loose lead and sits and stays. so i laid out the first tracking trail for him this morning.
Nikoviltsprtraing005.jpg

Layed out a 50mtr trail with a boar hoof at the end. Sat Niko 5 mtrs away while i inspected the start then went back to the dog and put on the harness and tracking lead. Took Niko forwd to the start and encouraged him to follow the trail.
He became very worried about the smell of blood and boar hoof and it took a lot of gentle encouragement to get him to track. We got to the end of the trail OK and he was very happy to play with the boar hoof.
He's a dog that is nervous of things that are unfamiliar but soon gets used to them.

Nikoviltsprtraing011.jpg

So now i will try and get him up to a good standard. before i start the boar hunting training next spring.

Jagare
nice to have met you at stones first dog day ! guess you already answered my question ! what age to to introduce a blood trail, Seems Nico is keen , Have introduced my Freya to hoofs n stuff , + some blood , she seems really keen , I am working on light discipline at the moment, she is only 3 months going to press. Don't want to rush things , but I am concerned if I lay back to much she may lose interest, and treat as normal circumstances the finding of a hoof or a blood scent, giving no reaction to a find. Hope this makes sense.
Anyone your input appreciated.
Regards Trapper

Jagare
nice to have met you at stones first dog day ! guess you already answered my question ! what age to to introduce a blood trail, Seems Nico is keen , Have introduced my Freya to hoofs n stuff , + some blood , she seems really keen , I am working on light discipline at the moment, she is only 3 months going to press. Don't want to rush things , but I am concerned if I lay back to much she may lose interest, and treat as normal circumstances the finding of a hoof or a blood scent, giving no reaction to a find. Hope this makes sense.
Anyone your input appreciated.
Regards Trapper

sorry for double post ! computer still got an internal error message! ADMIN HAVE A LOOK EH!

blood

Roy,
Next time you shoot a deer can you get me some of it's blood please. If i shoot one first i will save you some.

I reckon it will freeze nicely in some ice cube trays so you can use one at atime without it going off.

Jagare,
does freezing blood make a diference to it?

swampy

Hej Trapper I find the best thing is to make a deer hoof the dogs play thing. Let the dog play with a hoof for a few minutes and then take it away. Have you seen how they train those dogs that find drugs ? when the dog is successful the handler lets it play with its favorite ball-toy for just a minute. same thing with a tracking dog make the hoof its favorite play thing.
I would leave the blood till you start tracking training.

Swampy, blood freezes OK I dilute it down 50/50 with water and put it in a washing up liquid bottle and freeze it. I take it out when i want to use it let it thaw in the fridge. I lay out a track and refreeze the bootle. Not had it go off yet. Don't use blood that is on the turn ,only fresh smelling blood. Have thought about the ice cube tray idea and i'm sure that would work well

hi swamps
just a little thing that i found when freezing blood
don't fill the containers to full as just like milk it expands when frozen
i know this now :evil:
Jagare
keep us posted on this little beauty ;)
speak soon

doghound thats a nice looking taxen you have there. Who trained that :confused: ;) Looks like Swedish stock to me.
Don't you go spoiling that little girl now :lol:

Back