Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you all mount your presses on?

What do you all mount your presses on?

I'm new to this game but one thing that seems certain is that the base I have mounted my press to isn't stiff or strong enough for the purpose.

At work I have a load of old machinery that is mounted on cast steel stands. I may have to borrow one of these.

What do you all mount your presses on, it seems a standard bench top isn't up to the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    I'm new to this game but one thing that seems certain is that the base I have mounted my press to isn't stiff or strong enough for the purpose.

At work I have a load of old machinery that is mounted on cast steel stands. I may have to borrow one of these.

What do you all mount your presses on, it seems a standard bench top isn't up to the job.
    Mine is just mounted on a normal bench, has been for twenty years never been a problem.

Reloading Bench.

Kitchen work top which is bolted on to awork bench,if you spill any propellant easy to clean up.

If you tight for space as I am right now as I was when I first started I acquired a piece of heavy kitchen work top (a cut off) and mounted my press to this. The cut off can then be put onto a table, it's currently clamped to a 1950's TV stand. When i first started it was the kitchen table and put away in a cupboard when not in use. I use a couple of G-clamps to mount it with some wood packing to protect the stand/tables underside. Once I get a re-loading room/shed organised my work bench will be set up again with presses mounted ready for use.

SD Regular
    The cut off can then be put onto a table, it's currently clamped to a 1950's TV stand
    Like Brithunter the secret is in the quality of the table! Modern stuff won't take it!

I use an old plywood, with oak laminate, office desk from the 1960s NOT one of the rubbish office desks of today that are a paper wood effect over chipboard. It has a bottom edge under all four sides of the lip of the top that forms the sides of the "table" as it were.

I used this both for a press (RCBS ROCKCHUCKER and SIMPLEX) but also a RCBS Lubrisizer followed by a Star Lubrisizer. It also had my Corbin Swage Press too.

A little bit of flexing if trying to reform cases say 223 to 8mm Lebel revolver but not problem in full length re-sizing of 270, 303, 280 rifle or any pistol calibres.

I think a lot depends on the type of press. A good compound leverage press won't actually cause as much flexing of the surface it is bolted on to as does a press such as an RCBS JR that uses simple leverage.

Good stout bolts with a piece of say 1/8" steel plate (with a bent down "L" shaped lip) under the table top surface also help spread the loading. I don't have such a steel plate on mine but I do use stout bolts with washers underneath them.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 24-08-2011 at 10:22.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    I use an old plywood, with oak laminate, office desk from the 1960s NOT one of the rubbish office desks of today .
    +1

Press is mounted on a wooden base plate & g-clamped to one corner.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

I was in Hannans the other day, they are selling frestanding mounts, and removable ones.

I was lucky enough to be at a old house clearance sale 12 months back bought an old workbench for about 50 p
    just fitted it into the new office gun room upstairs solid as a rock
    looking forward to many happy years reloading as long as the good lord keeps looking down on me.
    also set up my new Rcbs chargemaster combo and scales yesterday really good piece
    of kit regards pete .

Last edited by Roedinator; 27-08-2011 at 15:26.

I am quite lucky My mate is a Joiner and he set up a wee purpose built cupboard gun room.a solid bench and my R.C.B.S.press bolted to a steel plate, along with that I have my case trimmer there and all things I require for reloading. hope this helps good luck with your reloading Always play it safe.!!

My bench of the last 35 years or more.
    Rockchucker compound press as stated by `enfieldspares`is easier on the bench.
    I no longer have the 8X68S rifle, I gave it to my Moose hunting pal in Sweden.
    HWH.