Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Partition vs Accubond

Partition vs Accubond

Can anyone tell me what the performance difference is between these two bullets? As far as I can see, they are both designed for high penetration with good expansion and weight retention, whilst still delivering a high BC.

Is the Accubond just the modern day version of the Partition, and if so, what is the actual difference in external and terminal performance, and why carry both stocks?

Do they not basically achieve the same end result with two different technologies, or are there any differences one should be aware of (such as one does not expand at close range or can pin-hole, or is bad for neck shots, etc.)

One of my norwegien clients used 150gr accubonds in .270
    The bruising was massive on roe though the exits were golf ball at max.
    Never had damage like that with any partition.

I hate to admit this but Johns right

I used acubonds for quite a while in my 30.06, they caused less damage than the nosler b/tips I was using before but still much more than the partions I'm know using.
    All doing the same speed.

Atb

Wayne
    Last edited by WAYNE DAVIES; 24-08-2011 at 10:07.

I am wondering why such premium bullets are required fot such soft skinned quarry as Deer. Despite rumours/suggestions in the shooting press deer are not armour plated nor do they wear kevlar.

Funnily enough I find they drop just as quick if I use a std bullet such as the Hornady Spire Point the closest I got to using premium bullets on Deer was with the Federal Fusion ammunition which is a bonded bullet. I brought them as they was offered at a very good price and some day/outings lets declare only factory ammunition is to be used.

A friend in the US was not so pleased with some of the "New" bullet deisgns as they failed to expand as claimed and resulted in runners. His neighbour is particularly troublesome and if they cross the boundary and off his own 300 acres then it's hassle........................... hassle. Of course one of the the best productive areas is near this neighbours boundary . He is currently playing with a new .375 H&H he built on a new Czech action he brought some years ago. Seems to old boy has got a Moose or Elk hunt in mind of course it might just be he fancied a .375 H&H .

I believe the Accubond is Noslers idea to stop the claims that Ballistic Tipped bullets blow up excessively in my limited use of them in 6.5mm and .308 I have never noticed them to do this but???????????????

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    I am wondering why such premium bullets are required fot such soft skinned quarry as Deer. Despite rumours/suggestions in the shooting press deer are not armour plated nor do they wear kevlar.

Funnily enough I find they drop just as quick if I use a std bullet such as the Hornady Spire Point the closest I got to using premium bullets on Deer was with the Federal Fusion ammunition which is a bonded bullet. I brought them as they was offered at a very good price and some day/outings lets declare only factory ammunition is to be used.

A friend in the US was not so pleased with some of the "New" bullet deisgns as they failed to expand as claimed and resulted in runners. His neighbour is particularly troublesome and if they cross the boundary and off his own 300 acres then it's hassle........................... hassle. Of course one of the the best productive areas is near this neighbours boundary . He is currently playing with a new .375 H&H he built on a new Czech action he brought some years ago. Seems to old boy has got a Moose or Elk hunt in mind of course it might just be he fancied a .375 H&H .

I believe the Accubond is Noslers idea to stop the claims that Ballistic Tipped bullets blow up excessively in my limited use of them in 6.5mm and .308 I have never noticed them to do this but???????????????
    You're quite right, UK deer are not thick skinned, except for perhaps Reds in thick winter coats and Sika..well, thick coated, not skinned really..

I used to shoot red stags with a factory normal soft point in 100g for .243, and they all fell over with good bullet placement - no reloading, no fancy bullets, no big canon used. So yes, of course any Tom Dick and Harry bullet will do, but that doesn't make me feel 'cool', and I'm not spending excessive amounts of money on fancy reloaded ammunition with scientifically derived powder/bullet combinations that means I have to waste the first 50 rounds of ammo just to find the sweetspot where I perform as well as a factory norma round

Let's get back on track here for a second though, I really like the Nosler brand, I like the principle of the partition/accubond for shooting the bigger deer species in the UK, I like knowing I can bring them abroad for pigs or plains game - they give me a feeling of confidence which I would like to bring into the field

SD Regular
    Partition are a classic H shaped jacket like Swift A-Frame or the German "H Mantel". With an exposed lead tip. The front will expand or even "wipe off" down to the partition but no more. So they can expand thus far BUT NOT MORE.

Accubond are a simple "cup and core" design (that happens to be bonded I suppose) with a plastic initiator tip for ballistic advantage. There is no partition to arrest the bullet's expansion so bonded or not they have the potential to open further.

The Nosler Partition was promoted as the true "all around" or "one size fits all" bullet in that for small game (think US equivalent of roe or muntjac) the expanding front part was adequate enough on its own to do the killing but on bigger game the rear non expanding bit still gave penetration through to the vital parts (think elk).

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 24-08-2011 at 10:32.

Thanks for that, let's throw the Scierra Gameking into the mix, a good looking bullet, should perform much like the Accubond but being non-bonded, might expand earlier/faster?

Sierra Game King is a std cup and core bullet and has been doing the business on beasties for many a decade. I preferred the pro Hunter which is flat based. Used them in 165 weight in the .308. I have soem 140 gain Sierra's for the .270 which I acquired when Howitzer closed their doors. I think I brought something like 900 or 1400 of them of course that has caused me much grief with the Lincolnshire FLO as they don't appear on my holdings as I already had them before moving here.

Aren't some of these super strong bullets just an answer to very high velocities causing bullet break up? As stated earlier deer are soft skinned and perhaps just a bit less velocity and a bit better stalking, getting closer, may be the answer.

David.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Sierra Game King is a std cup and core bullet and has been doing the business on beasties for many a decade. I preferred the pro Hunter which is flat based. Used them in 165 weight in the .308. I have soem 140 gain Sierra's for the .270 which I acquired when Howitzer closed their doors. I think I brought something like 900 or 1400 of them of course that has caused me much grief with the Lincolnshire FLO as they don't appear on my holdings as I already had them before moving here.
    that's an interesting point. someone actually gave me about 1500 .22LR rounds when they gave up the sport and a friend left behind a box of 20 norma .308 soft points in 150g. what am I to do with them, I don't have permissions for that amount of .22 ammo, nor the .308 - have all this good ammo destroyed?