Thread: French Calibre Restrictions Being Lifted?

French Calibre Restrictions Being Lifted?

Hello folks,

I was in my local gun shop the other day and through the conversation in ad hoc Francais/Deutsch/English we were talking about popular calibres. The guy in the gun shop was saying that the restrictions on ex military calibres such as 6.5x55, .30-06, 7x57 etc was due to be lifted (no such luck with .308 and .223 though).

Now, I was wondering if any of you learned folk on here had heard anything similar or might no where to check it out and get confirmation one way or the other.

ATB,

Scrummy

That actually sounds fairly sensible. The calibres you mention haven't been used militarily for a while, at least not by any power in europe and it's near neighbourhood.

David.

Check out this thread - people discussing this point on here agree

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...litary+calibre

Any more information on this yet?

Many thanks,

David.

SD Regular
    Certainly Belgium ditched its military calibre restriction about two years ago.

As far as I am informed when I go to Paris the French too are likely to also ditch their military calibre ban...save THREE cartridges 223, 308 and 9mm Parabellum.

Now, in fact, you can legally even now have a 308 in France but ONLY for target rifle shooting and not ever for live quarry shooting.

All this nonsense dates from....1939! When just before WWII the French Government feared a right wing coup and so prohibited weapons capable of chambering military calibres.

Also it is still an offence to have any ex-military rifle that still retains the ability to take a bayonet regardless that it has been converted to 303 Sporting, 30-06 Short, 8x60s of in the case of Russian weapons 7.62x284!

As Corporal Jones said...."They don't like it up em"!

According to one of the French rel's who works as a fonctionnaire (love that word), there is intense discussion on what should be excluded - just in case someone decides to stage a coup with a .577 Snider.

We still have some paper case snider ammo in the packets in the collection along with about 15 snider cavalry carbines. One large lump of lead coming out of those old smoke poles which you would not want to be hit by

Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc View Post
    We still have some paper case snider ammo in the packets in the collection along with about 15 snider cavalry carbines. One large lump of lead coming out of those old smoke poles which you would not want to be hit by
    Do you ever shoot the Sniders Malc? I used to have one of those little carbines and it was a blast (pardon the pun). Like a fool I sold it to buy another toy. I don't regret buying the Martini Henry that replaced it, but I really regret selling that carbine.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Anybody heard anything more about this lifting of restrictions?

David.

Well we are into the new year now so has anybody heard anything? Governments often seem to do these things as the year rolls over.

Many thanks,
    David.