.243 Optics

robmiller

Hi there
I am sure this has been done to death on numerous occassions....

I am looking for an optics for a .243 rifle. I have been advised an 8x56 is the tool to have. Any comments would be appreciated. I would like something good for dusk/dawn shooting at good distances.

Also, anyone that has anything for sale which would do the trick, please drop me a line if you are based in or around the north east.

Many thanks

S&B (Hungarian) 8x56 will do the job. I assume they do an illuminated reticle, which will also help in low light, but will cost more.

Nice scope i have one, but for all round use a 3x12x50 or similar from a good manufacturer beats it all the time for me

I use a .243 for all of my full bore shooting. I have a variable 3-10 x 56. The more you spend the better the scope in theory. All modern rifles shoot straight so spend as much as you can afford

Rob

The advice I was given a long time ago was to spend more on the scope than the rifle. I think that advice still stands and good scopes hold their value.

Good luck. JCS

I prefer the 6x42 as the 56 objective lens sits quite high on the rifle, making proper cheek weld and eye alignment tricky without a comb raiser - IMVHO. Mind you, the 56 will gather more light, so better for dusk or poor weather conditions.

I won't go far wrong with a Schmidt & Bender in either 6x42 or 8x56 (8x might be a bit much for woodland stalking though), there's usually some on sale on this site at good prices. 2nd hand I wouldn't pay much over £250 for a 8/10 condition scope, which is a great price given they are better than Swaro's and almost as good as Zeiss.:stir:

Hiya, On my .243 I have a 6x42 Meopta scope, and on my HMR I have an 8x56...I find the Meopta a crackin scope, which draws in tons of light...the 8x56 IMHO is for longer distance shooting....but still a very good optic....
If I was to choose one..it would be the 6x42 Meopta..which can be bought secondhand on here for app £200.......absolutely brilliant scope..:)

Good luck in your hunt...

won't go wrong with 8X56 S&B, will last you a lifetime and will never let you down. Also, you can transfer to a pure foxing rifle or a hill rifle and it will be perfect for the job, a very sound investment indeed.

IMHO, red dot is nice to have, but in no way necessary, S&B No. 7 reticle is great because it also allows you to rangefind using the pillar to post ratio's. You'll never have that with a dot sight.

I am in the same situation with you with my .308 and my .243 (I have just put in for my variation). I am thinking either a Zeiss Classic diatal 8x56T or a Swarvoski 8x56 Habicht illuminated reticle. A bit pricey though...

How about 2-10x40 or 3-12x42. Bigger magnification for longer shots and closer to the barrel than 56mm objective.

S&B (Hungarian) 8x56 will do the job. I assume they do an illuminated reticle, which will also help in low light, but will cost more.

+1 on S&B 8x56

I have a S&B 8x56 Hungarian Illuminated on one of my rifles. I have vowed I will never sell it.

If you decide to get one you will not be disappointed.

Cheers

Ross

i would go for a Meopta 7x50 and i would say the there is nothing init glass wise between the s&b and u can get a ir for the price of standerd s&b

I've recently put a Zeiss Duralyt 3x12x50 I.R on my T3, absolutly brilliant piece of kit especially the red dot function, now i know £800 is a lot of money but, i know i have just bought a "scope for life" it will outlast me and the only time i'll ever have to buy another scope is if i ger another rifle.
It's definatly improved my shooting and since i've had it i have not had to check or rezero the rifle, i cant explain how good it is in low light, i am now shooting foxes in light conditions that preveously i would have had to use a lamp, on a night with any sort of moon i can locate a fox with a lamp, turn the lamp off, set myself up for the shot and shoot without putting the lamp back on.
Untill now i have always gone for scopes around £100-£200 and got on fine but now i'd rather wait and get a better quality on if you can.
With regards to the S&B klassik 8x56, i've just managed to get one on my 17hmr, whilst it is not in the Zeiss's league IMO, it aint far off and will out perform the capabilities of the 17, as a good alraound workhorse, you would go a long way to have to beat it and its also bomb proof
Anybody close enough to kent is welcome to come and have a look through the Zeiss "on the ground"

Tikkat3

I recommend a fixed power scope of 6x42 such as the Sightron S11 series which is WP and shockproof - if you buy it online from the USA then including P&P and custom charges you'll have it for less than £300.
In my view most people are being seduced by the marketing men...for woodland stalking at typical distances of 50-100 meters you don't need anything more than a x6 power - if you fork out for an I.R you'll find you rarely use it, if ever, and if you fork out for a variable power scope you'll find you'll use it on a x4 or x6 setting most of the time anyway. And remember: More magnification = less field of view.
Ignore the 'tests' in all the magazines - why do you think they push hard for a Swarovski all the time? Because they are big spenders on advertising! These 'tests' are NOT impartial! It is rediculous to spend £1,500 on a scope to get a 92% light transmission when a scope of 1/5 of the price offers a 94% light transmission. Can you really, really see the difference? Can your eye detect the difference betwen 94% and 92%? I don't think so.
Anyway...rant over. Good hunting.

PKL just out of interest can i ask you why S&B and Zeiss are better than Swarovski?

Rgds

Martin

Back