Thread: Deer Dogs that bark?

Deer Dogs that bark?

Does anyone on this site use a dog like at the start of this video? http://ww w.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn4KheXXScM ? It seems ideal to me but don't know of anyone that does it? Could cover a large chunk of forestry nicely!

would be interested to know your thoughts!

ps i added a gap in the link

On first impression it's a DREVER. A Scandinavian breed. Jagare might be able to give his idea. A type of dog that I like. Similar to the Alpenländische Dachsbracke.
    Both breed of hounds that work solo, while the French hounds mostly work in small packs.
    I once participated to this type of "shooting". Stunning. The sound of the hound(s) ,the scenery, etc... These days are still in my memory.
    have a look : http://www.harkila.se/kennel/
    If you like more info, feel free to ask.

Cant get the link to work, Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hales Smut View Post
    On first impression it's a DREVER. A Scandinavian breed. Jagare might be able to give his idea. A type of dog that I like. Similar to the Alpenländische Dachsbracke.
    Both breed of hounds that work solo, while the French hounds mostly work in small packs.
    I once participated to this type of "shooting". Stunning. The sound of the hound(s) ,the scenery, etc... These days are still in my memory.
    have a look : http://www.harkila.se/kennel/
    If you like more info, feel free to ask.
    Thank you very much for the reply! I had no idea what breed they were. If I did more stalking I would be keen to give one a go but do more shooting with the shotgun to be honest. Any ideas why they aren't so popular in the uk?

Thanks again for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by george joy View Post
    Cant get the link to work, Thanks
    Hmm try copying and pasting link? But before hitting enter, fill the gap between the "www". ?

Quote Originally Posted by CZ452 View Post
    Any ideas why they aren't so popular in the uk?
    They're mainly used for driven large game are they not? Not too much hunting of that type in the UK - for cultural and legal reasons.

Its is indeed a Drever. One of the most popular breeds for hunting roe and hare. Ideal dog for roe hunting as they have short legs so not to fast and they don't stress the deer. Drevers have a look in there eyes like they are about to bite you. they make great tracking dogs as well. Hunting roe with a teckle or drever is great sport.

yep jagare me boy, its fine sport, hare and roe.