Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Changes in eyesight as you get older

Changes in eyesight as you get older

Hi All,

I am one year short of the big 50, and in the last couple of years I have seen a marked deterioration in my twilight vision when out stalking. Also I have noticed that it seems to be harder to spot deer in shady woods or dappled shade during woodland stalking sessions.

Do any of the other members on here recognise similar changes in their own sight or is it just me?

Lakey

Also hearing is a bit shot from years of shooting without ear protection. Have difficulty hearing conversation when there is a lot of background noise going on.

Problems of getting older I suppose

The eyesight is not light but colour deterioration, passed sixty and sky lost their HD suppliment, I and my wife could barely see a difference. Deer spotting is the same problem, I recently was shown the difference with age on the colour ranges. By 50 most colours are recognised by memories, You see green grass much as you did but in reality your grass colour perception is not as clear as you see it. In a shady area greys and browns are merging. Notice how clearer the deer appears once spotted. Your brain has deciphered the different colours. I will check the internet and see if I can find the tech spec on age colour perception.
    On hearing you have possibly tinitus. Most of the time in is calm, background noise sets it going. When you have a good explanation tell my wife please, she says I just don't listen. I too have a difficulty in listening to a conversation in a crowded room.
    Jim

Hi Lakey

I have the same problem its a pain in the ar~# wearing spec so tried the once a day contacts they take a little time to get used to get a months supply at a time but only use them when i go shooting lot better than glasses i find

ATB Paul D

lakey just about to hit 44 and get a bit of trouble with the odd bit of bluriness one second things seem blury the next crystal
    not really affecting the clays etc still shooting well enough but picked up some reading glasses for reading and the computer etc .
    I think the job doesnt help all that smoke / steam coming off the tarmac and they mix so much **** / additives these days
    think of moving on after xmas cant put a price on your health . and cant shoot what you cant see
    regards pete .

Well 50 passed me 5 years back and although I have no problem spotting deer in all conditions I have to wear reading glasses as black on white does play tricks, and it has got worse over the past 2 years.

Hearing well, I am mutton jeff in the right ear and high pitched noises I cant hear or being in a room with a lot of people talking makes it difficult to hear an individual. Thats through standing and or laying next to clients when shooting, prior to the days of moderators!!

Keep going Lakey!!! you can always call on your batman Terry (aka Pheasant Sniper) to look out for your deer hope to catch up with you later in the year.

Best wishes from one old git to another

i can vouch for your ears Andy

Lost count how many times ive tried to get your attention.. Atleast you dont complain when you get jabbed with the sticks...

Im four years off fifty and definately noticed a problem with my eyes as my girlfriends seem to be carrying a lot more weight these days..
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Cheers all for your comments. They have made me smile

I hear what you are saying about colour vision deterioration, however since I have always been red green colour blind (bloody rubbish for summer roe stalking) I have always relied on colours less that most people.

I had to get some glasses for reading about a year ago as my arms were no longer long enough to keep things in focus, and they have not helped as I know, my eyes have adjusted a bit to wearing the reading specs.

Luckily for me I have invested in good glass over the years, and things are still sharp through the binos and scopes

Getting older - All part of lifes rich tapestry

As you get older the lens flexibility decreases so you need close up specs. Pain if you use iron sights but not such a problem with a scope. Anyway you should be getting your eyes checked every coup;le of years, if only for your driving, let alone the shooting. Have to say one day contacts are fantastic, eye correction but you don't get raindrop marks on them.

David.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    Hi All,

I am one year short of the big 50, and in the last couple of years I have seen a marked deterioration in my twilight vision when out stalking. Also I have noticed that it seems to be harder to spot deer in shady woods or dappled shade during woodland stalking sessions.

Do any of the other members on here recognise similar changes in their own sight or is it just me?

Lakey

Also hearing is a bit shot from years of shooting without ear protection. Have difficulty hearing conversation when there is a lot of background noise going on.

Problems of getting older I suppose
    Welcome to theclub! The hearing bit can sometimes be quite useful though, especially when her indoors is giving me ear-ache

Hi guys, I'm well over 60 now & my twilight focus through bins & scope went 10/1 some years back....I can see just fine when light is good even when light's fading vision's fine...as the dark comes in, well, can't see anything in focus through the optics. Not even if I'm getting the right measure!
    Hearing? what hearing.....constant tinitis ringing.......at least I can hear the bang when I fire a shot, so I know the rifle's gone off!
    There's only arthritis, stiff joints, knackered hips & a heart attack left to worry about.
    Keep shooting & drink through it. Cheers,
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!