How American have we got?

cockerdog

I know this is a practice from across the pond but over here im not so sure.

On one of my stalking areas ive been well aware of a high seat about 150 yards over the boundary facing into one of my woods, fair game yes but infront of the seat and only about 75 yards from the wood edge is a 50 gallon drums cut in half and both full of grain.
Not the type for pheasant feeders but lids off and sat on the ground set out with only one purpose to entice the fallow out of my wood.

I wouldnt be that bothered if it wasnt for the fact that there is a cracking small valley which always has Fallow feeding and would make for some cracking stalking wihout the need to bait.

The sport is in the stalk for me as is with the majority thankfully but I would be interested to hear if others out there are baiting infront of high seats.

I think that is out of order. Yes the sport is in the stalking and in some cases baiting may be wise if shooting from a high seat. I say this because I just cant see any differance between waiting till the deer feed on say some coppice and the stalker moves a seat to suit or placing the seat and then encouraging the deer into a safe place to shoot them as part of a cull plan. This would be the differance between stalking and control or just deer shooting if you like. The thing here seems to be that the deer are not being stalked and yet as they are boundry animals they are being drawn in not for the sport of stalking but simply to kill. It just seems like not one thing or the other.

Its not sport and it is not part of a cull plan Its just greed at worst and at best un ethical.

Thats MHO anyway.

Mark

It will be like most "deer shooters" who just want to wack as many as they can and weigh in at the gamedealers!

I've seen it all before- fields and rides littered with root crops and hoppers and people in high seats most nights without a care in the world to what management the deer need. Anything that walks out get killed and off to gamedealer! £££ signs in some peoples eyes all the time I'm afraid.

I think that's pretty terrible neighbouring etiquette! Some of my grounds border FC land, and I have to admit that I frequently shoot deer that come out of the FC woods, over the fence and which stand and graze on my fields and in the crops, even though one could argue they are not 'my' deer (nor do the belong to anyone in fact). In one place I do have a highseat from which I can shoot deer that might come out of FC woodlines into my crops, but I would NEVER feed them out, NEVER!

Then again are the deer FC deer because they sleep in the woods, or not, as they spend the other half of the day roaming outside of the woods on my land??? I guess you have to go by the notion that no-one owns deer in the UK.

I'm with the gallon of parafin arguement. However knowing that you're in my neck of the woods and guessing your fallow are on the Hambleton Hill side there may be some light at the end of the tunnel. There is a head keeper locally who feeds loads of deer and shoots almost none, if you're lucky its him thats your neighbour.

Drop me a pm if you want a bit more info

shootingduckdog

He maybe doesn't but i bet he soon starts when he realises someone next door has started !!!!!!

Last edited:
carefull now , how would you know their full of grain ;) I wouldnt worry about it , when it rains theyll soon be good for nothing

You guys would enjoy being more American if you could.
But to the practice of baiting game, it is illegal in most states here. People get around it by planting crops that draw and bolster the size of deer. Putting out bins of grain and waiting for deer hasn't been legal in any of the western states I have hunted in and if it was, I wouldn't be interested. That is the kind of thing that hunters who ambush deer on paid hunting ranches in the south do. In my locale we have no need to bait deer and like some of you, view it as a dubious practice. I hate watching black bear hunts where the bear is baited into shooting range and then ambushed; it really sucks and is the height of laziness...~Muir

to be honest Muir im not sure its legal here but each to their own eh , alot of the same blokes are happy to bait boar to highseats and ie shot boar like it in poland

I know this is a practice from across the pond but over here im not so sure.

On one of my stalking areas ive been well aware of a high seat about 150 yards over the boundary facing into one of my woods, fair game yes but infront of the seat and only about 75 yards from the wood edge is a 50 gallon drums cut in half and both full of grain.
Not the type for pheasant feeders but lids off and sat on the ground set out with only one purpose to entice the fallow out of my wood.

I wouldnt be that bothered if it wasnt for the fact that there is a cracking small valley which always has Fallow feeding and would make for some cracking stalking wihout the need to bait.

The sport is in the stalk for me as is with the majority thankfully but I would be interested to hear if others out there are baiting infront of high seats.

I still find the way we view an activity such as this with distaste but happily breed birds in pens only let them out to be shot in huge numbers over a line of guns a real contradiction in our ethics.

Guys, theres plenty of vigilante talk with parafin etc.
The fact is that im not going to do anything, why would I theres no point making enemies with your neighbours over something like this, unsporting behaviour as it maybe its not illegal and so long as deer arent shot over my boudary without my consent. And I would quite happily let the person who controls the deer use my wood edge to stalk onto any deer on their side.
There are plenty of Fallow in the area and it obviously hasnt been overshot, nor is it overshot by myself.
And as for knowing they are full of grain.....8.5x42el swarovskis at 75yards are pretty good at picking out fine detail.
Oh and howa243 yes we do breed and release game birds but we sure as hell dont shoot them sat around a feed hopper.

Oh and howa243 yes we do breed and release game birds but we sure as hell dont shoot them sat around a feed hopper.

You may have missed my point. Do you consider shooting them around a hopper unethical but driving them over guns ethical then? This is just a question and dont really want an arguement.

QUOTE Guys, theres plenty of vigilante talk with parafin etc.
The fact is that im not going to do anything, why would I theres no point making enemies with your neighbours over something like this, unsporting behaviour as it maybe its not illegal and so long as deer arent shot over my boudary without my consent. And I would quite happily let the person who controls the deer use my wood edge to stalk onto any deer on their side UNQUOTE

Well done cockerdog very pragmatic.

I still find the way we view an activity such as this with distaste but happily breed birds in pens only let them out to be shot in huge numbers over a line of guns a real contradiction in our ethics.

I agree with this - mind you, I still release birds and feed with hoppers:rolleyes: However! If/When I finally manage to move out of the city and get myself a bit of land in the country, I will do my very best to plant proper woodland, shrubs, plants, hedgerows, beetle banks, meadows, etc. to create the habitat for a blooming natural population of game (cloven hoofed and winged alike). However, at present I rent my grounds, and have limited say in what can be done when in comes to planting hedgerows, etc. and everytime I do convince plantation of various cover crops and beetle banks, some farm-assistant lets the sheep rape them and I just get depressed next time I return to find my cover crops destroyed! Therefore, I have resorted to releasing birds on rented ground, sadly!

Back