Thread: Dogs and full time jobs

Dogs and full time jobs

I could've done with a dog out with me at the weekend so think it is about time I did something about it. I have contemplated trying to train my existing pooch to track blood but although I think I would make some headway I don't think an 11 year old Staffie is the right 'man' for the job. Currently he comes to work with me but this will soon have to stop when I change employment.

Who has a dog for stalking/shooting pursuits but works full time? How do you manage things?

kennel it or just in the day time and have it in at night if you wish
    regards pete .

Nothing wrong with a kennel and run for the day, all mine are kennelled often throughout the day and ive found that the dogs prefer their own space.

Quote Originally Posted by cockerdog View Post
    Nothing wrong with a kennel and run for the day, all mine are kennelled often throughout the day and ive found that the dogs prefer their own space.
    All mine are kennelled but I miss the company of one in the house.

A friend of mine did just that with his lab. Kennelled when out at work and allowed in when the family came home. However, he said that often the dog would stand at the back door waiting to be let out to his 'own space' when the kids got too much for him.

Mine live in the kitchen and have a dog door to the garden - they are no bother, although I have the luxury of working from home one day a week so that breaks the week up for them. Much as I try, I can't quite seem to get fully into the 'working dogs live outside' mindset. My two would be sleeping on my bed and the Mrs would be in the garden if they had a choice .

It certainly works better with two dogs than one on its own.

My three live in and I take them to work also, my BMH has made his bed on the office table when I go out of the door. He will stand on the desk as i type on the computer keyboard!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tn[2].jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	3.1 KB 
ID:	8794Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Milo office 2.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	8793Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00012-20110130-1324.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	261.4 KB 
ID:	8792

We have 3 kennelled together during the day, and bring them in overnite. as jamross said they do prefer their own space, and during the summer have to be pushed into the house!!
    Sinbad

Our 3 are also kennelled with a run during the day, then inside with us at night.

They keep each other company during the day and each has their own 'favourite' place inside at night.