ROE BUCK WITH TUSKS ? albahighlandtaxidermy.com

AlbaTaxidermy

i skinned out a roe buck head this summer and found a small set of tusks kind of like a knobber in a red stag type,it was 3 to 4 year old,and there is no muntjack near the place:) has anyone else seen this ?i took a blurred pict with the phone but need advice to put on post,

My brother has a roe skull with small incisor tusks,
He had never seen it before either and head did the
Rounds few years back of local BDS guys here in Angus
I'll try to get some pics if you want Rob ?
They are small tho but definately there

Sauer / Paul

I have shot a few roe over the years with these small tusks.
They have always been in the position of canine teeth and not always in pairs, some roe having only one.
They are small (10-15mm long) and quite fine and sharp.The visble crown showing from the gum is sometimes only a few mm long and they can be overlooked.
I do not always remember to look for them and I suspect they are more common than one would think. I have found them in relatively young animals too both bucks and does.
Cheers.
S.

Do you mean like this?

RoeCanines-WholeJaw180.jpg

RoeCaninesCloseUp1.jpg

The phots are from a buck I shot a couple of years ago. It's the first and -to date -only one I've shot that had canines but, as Schiehallion said, they are probably more common than we think.

I lent the head to a friendly vet who was interested in deer. Next time I see him I'll see if he still has it.

willie_gunn

Shot my one and only last year and he was an old silver medal heed.Shaun has a cracker i think from last year too and might still have the pics Rob.

Not uncommon have shot quite a few over the years , seems to be more prominent in certain areas, so wonder if genetics may be involved, in one area I used to have, would cull five or six every year out of a cull of thirty bucks.

Hi Rob,

I can remember an articles in 'Stalking Magazine' years back about a guy shooting roebucks with canines and were all from the same area, as bogtrotter says may be a genetic thing keep an eye out for them now, it was Northern Scotland, but can't remember where, i will try and dig out the mag to see where.

I have diligently checked every buck since reading that article, but have never found any :(

Moose

wullie_gunn

Where was yours shot, as so far, all the other guys that have shot bucks with tusks are from Scotland, just wondering if it was peculiar to Scottish Roe.

Moose

Last edited:
the roaring stag 003.JPGsome nice picts of proof i thought i would have got stick for this but seems more common than i thought,my buck was taken in
the black isle,the roaring stag 004.JPG rob

Hi Rob,

I can remember an articles in 'Stalking Magazine' years back about a guy shooting roebucks with canines and were all from the same area, as bogtrotter says may be a genetic thing keep an eye out for them now, it was Northern Scotland, but can't remember where, i will try and dig out the mag to see where.

I have diligently checked every buck since reading that article, but have never found any :(

Moose

Happy days, shot a young roebuck with a single tusk last weekend, after checking for years finally shot one myself
Laurie69
[/URL][/IMG]
Laurie69
[/URL][/IMG]

Moose

Had a spate of them on the Hampshire Surrey border area about 5 years ago. Several of the canines were not deep enough to have a root but I kept one head that did. As soon as I work out how to add a photo I will post it.

Our Deer group had Drew Bain, the CIC UK trophy commission technical advisor to do a lecture at the last AGM. His opinion was that it was caused by some kind of memory in the genetics from prehistoric times but he didn't say if there was any scientific research into it.

Very interesting ill keep my eye out for this in future ive never seen or heard about this before thanks for posting

Here is Willie_Gunn's Roe buck with canines. The teeth,both side were quite loose in the sockets and could be moved easily but not extracted until using an elevator. I would think the looseness was to accommodate the normal lateral movement of the chewing.
The photo of the individual tooth shows cementum masses at the base of the root. The anatomy of the tooth was enamel,dentine and a small amount of pulp. ( normal )
RoeCanineTeeth.jpg
VestigialCanineRoe.jpg
C

Canine teeth in Roe are not that unusual .
Close examination gives an incidence of +/- 7 % of animals.
An interesting variation of coat colour are the Black Roe of Niedersachsen and surround in Germany. These can have a canine teeth incidence of +/- 33 %.
The black colour has been suggested as a recessive characteristic.
In the evolution of deer tusks ( canine overgrowth ) were there before antlers ( so a evolutionary throwback for the animals ) Cwd and Muntjac tusks are drawn back by facial muscles when they are foraging and chewing.Drawn forward when threatened.
Why Reds have blunted tusks is obviously a retained factor during evolution.

Back