Thread: Harris bipod query

Harris bipod query

Hi folks
    Been thinking bout getting a Harris bipod but one of the ones that you can use from a sitting position also. Think it's 13" to 27". But could be wrong
    Anyone use this size? Is it "useable" stable ?
    Or not worth bothering with? I'm just thinking it might work better than faffing bout with sticks

Sauer/paul

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Paul

I have been using that bipod for the last 10 years, initially on my .308 but currently on my .243. For stalking down South I find it useful for sitting/kneeling shots. It's on the rifle constantly, but I still use sticks for standing shots. The legs don't foul on the moderator when folded, at least they don't on the mods I've got.

It's a very usable size if you need to shoot over long grass or crops and for sitting/kneeling shots I think it's hard to beat. Sitting with your back against a tree or fencepost, with the rifle on the bipod, is pretty much the same as shooting off the bench. You just have to figure out how often you'll be taking those type of shots as to whether it's worthwhile you having it on the rifle.

I also use it up North for the annual trip stalking, but to be honest it can be slightly too long for most normal prone work, so I'm about to get a 9-13 model and will stick that on the .308. Personally I've found the low model of Harris bipod to be too short when shooting in heather/peat hags.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Paul

I like this bipod - http://www.harrisbipods.com/HB25S.html good from the prone position and can be extended a couple of inches if need be to get above the heather and grass.

but I find this one sits just too high when shooting from a prone position - http://www.harrisbipods.com/HB25CS.html

A bit will depend on how tall you are, I am 5' 11". I practice a bit from the sitting position, but have shot very few deer from the sitting position.

Regards JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 26-08-2011 at 08:51. Reason: added height comment

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Paul

I have been using that bipod for the last 10 years, initially on my .308 but currently on my .243. For stalking down South I find it useful for sitting/kneeling shots. It's on the rifle constantly, but I still use sticks for standing shots. The legs don't foul on the moderator when folded, at least they don't on the mods I've got.

It's a very usable size if you need to shoot over long grass or crops and for sitting/kneeling shots I think it's hard to beat. Sitting with your back against a tree or fencepost, with the rifle on the bipod, is pretty much the same as shooting off the bench. You just have to figure out how often you'll be taking those type of shots as to whether it's worthwhile you having it on the rifle.

I also use it up North for the annual trip stalking, but to be honest it can be slightly too long for most normal prone work, so I'm about to get a 9-13 model and will stick that on the .308. Personally I've found the low model of Harris bipod to be too short when shooting in heather/peat hags.

willie_gunn
    Agree 100% with all of the sbove.

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Paul

willie_gunn
    Agree 100% with all of the above.

I have had one for about 4 years, but hadn't ever used it extended until I took a couple of sitting shots whilst doing a mock-DSC1 shooting test this week. I was impressed with how stable it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonraker68 View Post
    I have had one for about 4 years, but hadn't ever used it extended until I took a couple of sitting shots whilst doing a mock-DSC1 shooting test this week. I was impressed with how stable it was.
    Sorry don't know how I managed that seem to have entered the same reply twice.

mmmmm cheers guys

now bit confused over which would suit now to be honest....im 5'7" so wondering wether to go for the 25" or the 27"

suppose could go for the 27" and if too long adjust it in a bit...

cheers for replies folks

time to start hunting for one then

sauer /paul