Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should be a good one in a year or twol

Should be a good one in a year or twol

I have always believed in leaving promising bucks to realise their potential if possible. Here is a buck I bumped into a few weeks ago whilst out and about and superbly illustrates my point. Not very old, but IMHO a great head in the making. Luckily this buck seems to be occupying a prime territory next to a big wood in the middle of a reasonable bit of ground , so it will be left and hopefully it will be better next year
    I fully realise that heads go up and down from year to year, however I feel this buck could be very good in future years?
    I would be very interested to hear your comments

Last edited by Lakey; 26-08-2011 at 12:11.

Hi Andy, he does look like a nice lad. a good length to his antlers and only young looking in the face so i would aggree with you if he was on my land (if i had any) cracking pics to mate, like the one of him with his tongue up his nostril .

Hi, I'm going to stick my neck out and say that this buck is older than you think. in pic.1 his head carriage is quite low, pic.2 his coronets are very close to the skull,indicating short pedicles pic. 3 I think that the left antler shows signs of 'going back'.
    Very difficult to age them accurately on the hoof,much easier in the hand! My favorite method is 'either it's a yearling or it's not', them I am quite good.
    Good pictures
    Regards Jeffrey

+1with JeffreyL. I'm relatively inexperienced but the shape of the rear quarters along with the shape of the antlers look like an older beast to me.
    this one would have been interesting when it was younger:
    Attachment 8866
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

I would say shoot it now that in my opinion is a poor buck and should be taken out !

Quote Originally Posted by 375 mag View Post
    I would say shoot it now that in my opinion is a poor buck and should be taken out !
    I'm with 375mag on this one....................dosn't appear to be much meat on the bones on pic 2.
    Last edited by Cadex; 28-08-2011 at 00:30.

Looks like i got that wrong then i see what you mean about the antler looking like it maybe going back, i just went off how young he looks in the face ( a bit like myself ) and thought he may have a better head next time? every day is a school day with this job.