Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cost per round.

Cost per round.

I've just been quoted 43 for a box of Norma 6.5x55 120grn ballistic tips....which made my eyes water. I've spoken to other dealers who have them in stock at around 36 a box, but the cost of travel will counter any saving.
    I've always fought shy of reloading before, but am now starting to give it serious consideration. What would a typical homeload cost per round? I've been saving my fired brass, so that is a bit of money saved already.

I seem to remember I costed out my 260rem at around 0.65 per round purely for consumables - powder, primer and bullet. The 22/250 was under 0.50 per round.

This obviously ignores your capital outlays on kit, brass costs, most of us use brass we already had, and of course labour.

If you amortised these capital costs in accurately over the first thousand rounds, it probably costs around 1.10 - 1.20 per round, after round 1000 your will have recovered your capital outlays and costs fall back to just under a 1.00 per round including labour.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Very interesting question, and it got me thinking.

For my .308 I've been using the following consumables:

Nosler 150gr Ballistic tips @ approx 50/100
    Vihtavouri N140 @ approx 75/kg
    Remington primers @ approx 5/100
    Lapua .308 brass @ approx 55/100 (only bought 100 for the new rifle, will then re-size)

Out of a kilo of powder I'll get, say, approximately 350 loads (I use 43.5gr), so the cost of powder per round is approx 21 pence, or 21 per 100 to keep the maths easy!

Therefore the cost of consumables would be a maximum of 131 per 100, or roughly 1.31 per round.

On top of that you have to add the investment in the reloading kit itself, which is not insignificant. Press, dies, case preparation kit, tumblers, calipers, scales, brushes, case trimmers, OAL guages, neck turners....and the extra garage to keep it all in.

But weigh against that the hours of pleasure that come from handloading, experimenting, etc. and the fact that you can develop a load specific for your rifle and it becomes much more compelling.

Mind you, you may also find that your conversation starts to bore the pants off anyone who is not, themselves, a reloader.

I reload for my .308 but use factory rounds for my .243, though I've not yet found a deer that could tell the difference.

If you ever want to drop round for a reloading session, let me know.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Brian,
    Thanks for the response. That's a big enough saving to make it attractive. I'll be in Dorset tomorrow, and will call in at the Sportsman to get an idea on the cost of the equipment. They quoted me a good price for Norma bt's, so I'll pick up a couple of boxes to tied me over and give me some more brass.

Willie_gunn,
    I appreciate the invitation and may well take you up on it in the near future. Just sold my last cocker pup, so I can invest the proceeds in some new gear.

Rupert
    Last edited by Moonraker68; 26-08-2011 at 14:05.

im loading my .270 using N160 and H4831sc with CCI LR200 primers my loads work out as follows-

H4831/140GN BARNES TSX 0.67p per round
    N160/N560 /130GN SIERRA GAMEKING 0.47p per round

consumerbles only not inc brass .

i wouldnt use factory ammunition now even is some one paid me !

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

How much do you shoot a year?
    From a commercial perspective, if it's 20 or 30 rounds then keeping buying factory.

You're likely to get more accuracy from a home load but it can be a lot of work and more cost in terms of travel, trying bits 'n bobs etc.

P.S. Willie_Gunn, you're overpaying for powder and primers, 30/1000 for primers and 62/kg for Viht.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonraker68 View Post
    Brian,
    Thanks for the response. That's a big enough saving to make it attractive. I'll be in Dorset tomorrow, and will call in at the Sportsman to get an idea on the cost of the equipment. They quoted me a good price for Norma bt's, so I'll pick up a couple of boxes to tied me over and give me some more brass.
    Rupert
    my mate bought the RCBS complete kit all bar calipers and dies off amazon for about 220 !

but you can get the lee basic set for about 130 the last time i looked !

drop fenlander on here a pm he'll tell you what it cost exactly

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

Lee, those costings look good - especially for the Gamekings. I'll pm Fenlander as you suggest.

Milligan, I guess I probably shoot approx 100 rounds a year, so there would be about a 2 year payback period based on me paying 2.15 per round locally for factory ammunition. There would also be the satisfaction knowing that I wasn't being sh*fted......priceless!
    Last edited by Moonraker68; 26-08-2011 at 14:23.

buy the Lee Classic Loader kit on here for 6.5X55 - 25. Tub of propellant 30 ish, 100 bullets 28 ish, 100 primers 5 ish, calibers and scales 25, lee chamfer and primer pocket cleaner tools 10. Job done.

this will see you reload 100 rounds around 0.50p/round! almost 5 times cheaper than what you were quoted.

The basic gear needed to try reloading with this method will set up back the equivalent price of 40 Norma BT's, and with that gear you can load 100 rounds...it's a no brainer.

before people jump in a start listing a million other reloading items you need (trays, powder funnels, primer machines, presses, dies, re-sizers, diameter checkers, lubricant, tumblers, corn media, etc. etc. etc. etc),,then take my word for it, you DONT need all that. I have been reloading using the basic setup described above for .243, and can shoot almost one ragged hole with series of 5 rounds....and yes, you can get calibers and scales for 25, just ebay digital scales that do both grams and grains, and some digital scales, should come in at just over 10 each,,,and 'I' have found them just as accurate as more expensive gear..

just my opinion mate, others will disagree.
    Last edited by PKL; 26-08-2011 at 14:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonraker68 View Post
    Lee, those costings look good - especially for the Gamekings. I'll pm Fenlander as you suggest.

Milligan, I guess I probably shoot approx 100 rounds a year, so there would be about a 2 year payback period. There would also be the satisfaction that I wasn't being sh*fted......priceless!
    Moonraker, if you are only shooting 100 rounds per year total, it is probably not worth your while. You are only going to save 70 max on the ammo costs and your initial outlays / start up costs on kit, consumables etc will be 400 - 500.

I would shoot somewhere near 1000 rounds per year from 3 rifles.

I recently gave up loading for my 30/06 as I found it would go .6-.7" with Privvi ammo at 12/20. I can't buy the consumables for that money.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......