Thread: Bavarian MH purchase...what to look out for?

Bavarian MH purchase...what to look out for?

Hi Guys,

I am thinking of buying a bavarian mountain hound bitch next week and was hoping for some advice on picking one out of the litter. She will be used for hunting so what do I need to check out for when choosing? Any advice would be appreciated.

Reddeer1

Picking a BMH pup is much the same as picking any other pup. What you are looking for is a healthy specimen with no deformities. At 8 - 10 weeks the pups should be weaned,feeding well and no signs of the skits. Eyes should be clear and no snuffles from noses. No scratching or smell from ears. Check teeth for any sign of over shot or under shot jaw. Don't just look at the one that takes your fancy have a look at a few.
    8 week old pups can be sleepy things but if wide awake i would favour the pup that is aware of his/her surroundings and up to mischief.
    I don't believe that you can pick a good working dog from a litter, you must rely on the pedigree. Most have their own way of choosing - the pup that comes to them etc. I like a dark coloured dog and when I picked my BMH I went for the dog pup with the darkest mask.

hi, do your research on this breed they are not like any dog you have probably had.
    They need to be worked and are very intelligent start them training as soon as you can 9 weeks is not to early. Make sure you know pups parents and working. and pedigrees. I don't recommend kennelling them. If you get a good one , they are the best dog I ever owned. Training can be frustrating but be patient and don't over do it. Enjoy it and good look

Interested as to why you recommend not kennelling a BMH. I have owned dogs for more years than I care to recall and totally agree that a BMH is different from a "normal" dog. My dog has a certain air of aloofness about him and at first made it known that it was below him to be put into a kennel especially in the same kennel block as "lowly" spaniels but I do not believe that it effects his working ability or relationship with me by being kennelled.

Go on the BMH website.Phone Steve Coles or Pete Garroway they are the most knowledgeable

Quote Originally Posted by reddeer1 View Post
    Hi Guys,

I am thinking of buying a bavarian mountain hound bitch next week and was hoping for some advice on picking one out of the litter. She will be used for hunting so what do I need to check out for when choosing? Any advice would be appreciated.

Reddeer1
    1 Look at pedigrees for Xbreeding
    2 Check and ask for agressiveness in the line.
    3 Join the BMHS. They are both helpful and knowledgeable.