Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 44mag or 30-30 from the police POV

44mag or 30-30 from the police POV

I'm about to try and 1 for 1 my free slot 22mag for either a 44mag or 30-30. This may raise a few eyebrows, and may not be the thing round here, especially as it will mean selling my 243 to fund it.

Basically, I'm moving to Australia in november and will be wanting a lever action for closer range boar, goat and deer hunting. I've noticed lever actions are cheaper here (good ones are sort after there) so think I'll ditch the 243 and take a lever instead. I'm also taking my 30-06.

This isn't a calibre debate, I'm still trying to decide on them. Although input wouldn't go amiss! I'm more wondering what the police view is on either of these? Do they quake in their boots becuase the 44 mentions the dirty M word? OR do they consider it unsuitable for deer because it's a pistol round?

Looking at my hornady book they are both hovering around the 1700 ftlb barrier so I'd say they'd be for muntjac only to smoothe things over. But can they take into consideration I'd only be buying it for australia?

The rifles will be taken by a shipping company and put in a container. Is there anychance I could be bypassed and the new one goes straght to that company?
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." -- Rudyard Kipling

.44 mag underlever is a very popular calibre/rifle for gallery rifle competitions so the police will certainly be very familiar with it. Whether or not you'll get it granted for deer is another matter though. I've seen it granted for fox but not deer so far...

Are you a member of a club? Maybe get it granted for target? This way I doubt you'll get any objection.

why not go for 444 as i am pretty sure that is legal for deer here. Also 30-30 is a bit on the light side for boar.
    Tusker.

Yeah I'd love one. It's just they are harder to find (like non on guntrader now) and quite a bit more money. In Australia, 243 is a common boar calibre, and at a pinch quite a few use 223... Yeah if it was a straight choice I'd go 444 or even better 45-70!
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." -- Rudyard Kipling

Harry check what the Australians would want. Don't forget their licensing can be as random as ours when it comes to there being common sense... I can point in the direction of some Australian shooters if you wish via another forum. PM me if you would like to do this. One is just building up a 7x57 on a 1903 Turkish "Obendorf manufacture" action. He has an 8x57, an 9.3x62 and a Ruger 450 NE along with a .25/20 Hornet.

Quote Originally Posted by tusker View Post
    why not go for 444 as i am pretty sure that is legal for deer here. Also 30-30 is a bit on the light side for boar.
    Tusker.
    Yep the .444 is deer legal pushing 2,200fps+ with 265gr interlock and around 3,000 flb's of energy.
    My choice for woodland stalking rifle.
    "a man does good business when he rids himself of a turd"

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Harry check what the Australians would want. Don't forget their licensing can be as random as ours when it comes to there being common sense... I can point in the direction of some Australian shooters if you wish via another forum. PM me if you would like to do this. One is just building up a 7x57 on a 1903 Turkish "Obendorf manufacture" action. He has an 8x57, an 9.3x62 and a Ruger 450 NE along with a .25/20 Hornet.
    Thanks BH, I reckon I should be right though. I'm pretty up to speed on aussie licensing - I have family out there and been spending some time on an aussie forum. My job/house is on a 25k acre farm in NSW (WA and a little bit SA are the tricky states re firearms) and they want me to have a lisence to I should be pretty much be rightproviding it's <50 BMG

Quote Originally Posted by reiver View Post
    Yep the .444 is deer legal pushing 2,200fps+ with 265gr interlock and around 3,000 flb's of energy.
    My choice for woodland stalking rifle.
    Yeah I would like one. But they are too much money, I can't afford one though. I'm funding it by selling my 243, which will get me a 30-30 or 44mag but not a 444 or 45-70. So unfortunately I don't think it's an option.

The main obsticle I can see is I leave on the 5th of november. I'm worried a 1 for 1 will not be back in time after norfolk constabulary has lost all their staff. Anyone aware of current norfolk 1 for 1 time?

Another option I can think of is I direct the shipping company couriers (who can carry firearms) to my local RFD and get them to pick up a rifle I have bought, but don't have a slot for on my UK FAC. Then they take it away. This would be fine at the other end (UK FAC is irrelevant at aussie customs), but would it be a problem here?

Harry

My make just bought a .444S of guntrader for 350 inc case's and Dies,base's it shoots well too. They are out there but they sell very fast so you have to be quick. If you want a .44 or 30-30 have a look here http://www.marlinriflesuk.co.uk/
    Best of luck with every thing.

Bob
    "a man does good business when he rids himself of a turd"

Hi Harry
    First off, best of luck with the move. Secondly, for what it's worth I reckon here is the wrong place for this debate ( I mean for your benefit, we all love a debate on here as you know).

What I reckon you should do is ring your FEO and explain the whole situation , arrange to hand in your 1 for 1 in person and try and get them to do it there and then for you. Obviously this is only worth doing when you have the right gun lined up, then you will know what calibre to apply for. I'm pretty sure that my feo and local office would help me out on this one and as an intelligent bloke which you surely are having followed your posts on various topics for some time, I'm sure you will have some kind of rapport with your local feo?

Whatever happens best of luck and enjoy the underside!

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by reiver View Post
    Harry

My make just bought a .444S of guntrader for 350 inc case's and Dies,base's it shoots well too. They are out there but they sell very fast so you have to be quick. If you want a .44 or 30-30 have a look here http://www.marlinriflesuk.co.uk/
    Best of luck with every thing.

Bob
    Well that's a very good deal your friend got! There are some nice rifles on that site, but they are all new by the looks of it - not what I can have...
    Quote Originally Posted by devonoak View Post
    Hi Harry
    First off, best of luck with the move. Secondly, for what it's worth I reckon here is the wrong place for this debate ( I mean for your benefit, we all love a debate on here as you know).

What I reckon you should do is ring your FEO and explain the whole situation , arrange to hand in your 1 for 1 in person and try and get them to do it there and then for you. Obviously this is only worth doing when you have the right gun lined up, then you will know what calibre to apply for. I'm pretty sure that my feo and local office would help me out on this one and as an intelligent bloke which you surely are having followed your posts on various topics for some time, I'm sure you will have some kind of rapport with your local feo?

Whatever happens best of luck and enjoy the underside!

Tom
    Hi Tom,
    Thats not a bad move actually, that way he also won't be suprised or againts me getting a 444. If it came too it... I have just been advised of a good deal on a good sounding 444 but it's really stretching the budget! I'll see what the FEO says on tuesday.

So can anyone comment on my idea of getting the shipping company to take a rifle while bypassing me in the UK completely?