Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is dubin ok on boots?

Is dubin ok on boots?

I've run out of proper nik wax stuff and there's an old tin of dubin in the bottom of the shoe cleaning box.
    Is there a reason why dubin is no longer used these days? years ago someone said it rotts stiching but modern stitching is synthetic so that wouldn't matter.
    My Meindle's dovres are really dry and in desperate need of nurishment.

George

the trouble with dubbin is that it block the pores on leather as the leather cant breath so it will rot from the inside out

Point above duly noted, Ash is it possible to retain the nubuck 'light tan' look on boots when you treat them without darkening the leather, my Han Wags virtually changed colour when i applied NikWax.

any wax, oil, silicon etc will "block the pores" of the leather.
    its probably less used now than it was because it is messy stuff that rubs off more readily on the clothes, socks gaitors etc.

never understood how leather slavered with grease that will repel water 8" deep.....can "breath".

Bit like I don't understand the physical properties of Goretex using the basic principles of osmosis.
    Its 100% humidity outside and pissing down horizontally but some how goretex manages to get the 20% humidity inside you jacket armpit to cross a semi permeable layer defying the humidity ratio across the membrane (bollox if you ask me!)

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    its probably less used now than it was because it is messy stuff that rubs off more readily on the clothes, socks gaitors etc.

never understood how leather slavered with grease that will repel water 8" deep.....can "breath".

Bit like I don't understand the physical properties of Goretex using the basic principles of osmosis.
    Its 100% humidity outside and pissing down horizontally but some how goretex manages to get the 20% humidity inside you jacket armpit to cross a semi permeable layer defying the humidity ratio across the membrane (bollox if you ask me!)
    love it

I blather all my boots with dubbin, then leave some place warm to soften & let it absorb, do it 2 maybe 3 times ..usually ok for months ..depends the quality of the leather also. Having said, i did some 30 rigger boots , on a regular basis & 2 years later still the bizz

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post

Could'nt agree more.
    Lots of b******s talked lots of the time in my opinion.
    S.

I've always used dubbin, never had a pair rot, maybe it's because the soles wear out long before that!

Apply dubbin like shoe polish and shine it up, keep the boots warm and apply a few coats polishing up each time, can't beat it, far bettr than any nikwax crap!

Quote Originally Posted by bambislayer View Post
    I've always used dubbin, never had a pair rot, maybe it's because the soles wear out long before that!

Apply dubbin like shoe polish and shine it up, keep the boots warm and apply a few coats polishing up each time, can't beat it, far bettr than any nikwax crap!
    I used nik-wax religously (nearly every sunday) on a pair of hunters leather boots and the leather lasted longer than the soles. I used the self same stuff on two pairs of le-chameau boots and both cracked easily, one lot was a replacement for the other pair and were grudgingly given.

I think any of the propriatory waxes will work on good leather. No amount of dubbin or nik-wax will save rubbish leather.

I know one old boy who always has used dubbin, effectively, on his boots. I know another who uses neatsfoot oil. Both have very old pairs of boots that have been re-soled many times. Obviously they both believe their's is the only way. I too think there is a lot of hype about caring for leather. I use all of the above products, regularly on my boots. I no longer care as long as the leather is being fed and is kept supple.

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Thanks guys , have gone for the dubin. Boots have never been so supple. Think I'll stick to it now.
    cheers George