25-06 factory amunition

I use Remington core-lokt 120 grain as it was all that was stocked for ages at a local RFD and have no complaints so far. It groups at about an inch which is good enough for me!!

I also have some federal 118 grain but haven't got round to them yet but they were the right price :D!

Not factory but I have been told that you can get 80 grain ballistic tips which are meant to be mega for foxes etc.

The main problem I find is it's not that common a calibre so isn't stocked by a lot of shops as a rule. To be honest this makes some of the prices for ammo pretty eye watering unless you have a good RFD who will buy in a load for you on the proviso your taking the lot.

Have used 85 grain and 100 grain btip Federals,117 grain soft point Federals and 90 grain hollow point Federal.

All shot very accurately in my Tikka.

currently using 85 grain nosler btip reloads, savage round. Would recomend the 100 grain btip Federals.

wicklow202

thanks lads ,

persomally in a home loader , and im looking for information for a friends son who is about to get his first C/F rifle and he's decided 25-06 is the calibre for him .

so i said i would do some digging to see what amunition was available ! and how it performed

cheers lee

as above really , just looking to see what brand and weight bullet is performing the best ?

For stalking I am using the 117 grain Sako Gamehead, which work well for me on Roe and Fallow.

For foxing I am currently using the Federal 85 grain ballistic tip's and they definitely make good fox medicine, but looking to try loading some of the 75 grain V-max to see how they compare.

Remington 120gn CoreLokt doesn't work at all in my rifle..group greater than 2.5". Absolutely hopeless. Had to knock them all & re-seat to get them to fly half decently & will never buy any again.
Hornady 115gn SST worked much better at 1 1/4" group, but still nowhere near my loads. Cheers, :old:

+1 for Sako 117G Gamehead - very accurate in my Sako M995 (TRG-S) and in my mates 85. also - your left with quality brass. I'd alway go with heavy for calibre bullets - anyone shoot Winchester 120G Positive Expanding?, always wanted to give them a go. Tried Federal 85G ballistic tips - very fast but i could group them better if i threw them!

Currently using Federal Powershock 120 grain running out at 3030 fps for everything.

Tried Federal 100 grain B/T but they were making a hell of a damage.

I use 120gns Federal Powershock, always on the money and quite common in most RFD's.

I had several .2506's and the 120gn never shot well out of any of them!
My current quaterbore is a 1:12 twist so I'm good for 100gn and below. I use factory Feds in 100gn B/Tips there are fine assuming you place the x hairs in the right bit. I may try a few 115 grainers to see if they will stabilize.

85 gn - is a stonking fox round, very fast and pole axes them. Only trouble is possible throat erosion.

In a Ruger MK2 I used a 115 Nosler B/T with I think 51.5 grains of Reloder 22 and it grouped well at 100yds.

It is a great round but a but fickle to get right on bullets and powder, Sako cases are pretty good quality for reloading

Hope this helps

I had several .2506's and the 120gn never shot well out of any of them!
My current quaterbore is a 1:12 twist so I'm good for 100gn and below. I use factory Feds in 100gn B/Tips there are fine assuming you place the x hairs in the right bit. I may try a few 115 grainers to see if they will stabilize.

85 gn - is a stonking fox round, very fast and pole axes them. Only trouble is possible throat erosion.

In a Ruger MK2 I used a 115 Nosler B/T with I think 51.5 grains of Reloder 22 and it grouped well at 100yds.

It is a great round but a but fickle to get right on bullets and powder, Sako cases are pretty good quality for reloading

Hope this helps

:thumb:

thanks

Back