Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help needed

Help needed

Hi everyone i have tikka t3 270 with a s/b 8x56 which im having trouble zeroing, it groups superbly at up to 50yds . I then try it at 100yds and i cant even get it on a4 sheet of paper, have tried various ammo cleaned it , checked mounts ect should i take it back as its less than a year old ??

Difficult one. What weight Bullets are you using? Have you asked somebody else to shot it for you to we what group size they get? Is the rifle second hand?

Jase

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    243fallow

Are you using a moderator? If so I'd start by removing that and trying to zero again at 100 yds.
    Do you know the history of the scope? Was it new when bought? If "No" to either of the above, and you have easy access to another scope, I'd then swap scopes and re-check.

Otherwise, and based on my own experience (with much help from HME), I would suggest that you want to try to eliminate each variable in a methodical way. The following list is not comprehensive - and I know you've tried some already - but might help:

Check that the scope mounts, etc are good and solid and all screws tight
    Deep clean the barrel to remove any fouling..and test fire a group
    Check without the moderator..and test fire a group
    Check with someone else pulling the trigger..and test fire a group
    Check a (number of) different factory and/or home loads..and test fire a group for each
    Check if anything has altered with the stock (barrel touching, bedding, crap between action and stock)..and test fire a group
    Check that all action screws are tight..and test fire a group
    Tighten the action screws again...and test fire a group
    Slacken the action screws a tad...and test fire a group
    Check a different moderator...and test fire a group
    Check a different scope...and test fire a group
    If tried all the above and still no joy then get a friendly riflesmith to check your barrel with a borescope!

I ended up re-barrelling my 10 year old Sako 75 when it wouldn't zero. In retrospect it would have saved a lot of time, money and effort if I'd had the borescope down the barrel in the first place.

willie_gunn
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 29-08-2011 at 08:47.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

rifle brand new ,scope was brought brand new 5years ago. rifle has less than 200 rouns through it

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by 243fallow View Post
    rifle brand new ,scope was brought brand new 5years ago. rifle has less than 200 rouns through it
    Moderator?

If yes, remove it and re-zero.

If no, and you've tried all the above, then I'd suggest taking it back to, or speaking with, the gunshop you bought it from and asking their advice.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

no mod fitted it looks like it may well be going back thanks for your advice willi

has the crowning on the end of the barrel been dented or scratched because this can sereously affect the accuracy of the rifle , if not id say it was something wrong with the scope

the scope was fine on my 243 all i did was transfer it on to 270

Had the same problem on an air rifle only at shorter distances obviously, it was the mounts that were out of line with the barrel, it was ok at what ever distance you zeroed at but went way off thereafter, when you think about it, it's logical? in order to ensure consistant accuracy, the scope must be dead inline with the barrel.
    If it is the mounts,shoot a group at 50, 60, 70 and so on, as you get further past your original point of zero (in your case 50yds)the point of point of impact will move further and further away from your zero?
    In my case it was the mounts that had been machined slightly out of true.
    Hope this helps

Tikkat3

Quote Originally Posted by TikkaT3 View Post
    Had the same problem on an air rifle only at shorter distances obviously, it was the mounts that were out of line with the barrel, it was ok at what ever distance you zeroed at but went way off thereafter, when you think about it, it's logical? in order to ensure consistant accuracy, the scope must be dead inline with the barrel.
    If it is the mounts,shoot a group at 50, 60, 70 and so on, as you get further past your original point of zero (in your case 50yds)the point of point of impact will move further and further away from your zero?
    In my case it was the mounts that had been machined slightly out of true.
    Hope this helps

Tikkat3
    +1 on this theory

if it groups well at 60yds then it's not the rifle or scope, so it must be scope alignment.
    What mounts are you using?
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox