Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1000 Deer ?

1000 Deer ?

I have spoken to a few amateur stalkers who claim they have shot over a 1000 deer . On my reckoning they would have to shoot 50 deer every year for twenty years and that would be from day one of there stalking carreer . So, simple question how many of you have honestly shot over a 1000 deer?

Chill

I will have been around well over 1000 bodies over the years but don't shoot many myself now.
    Before going pro shot 35-60 a year for about 15 years so have had a few.
    The last 12 months had personally (aprox) x6 roe bucks x10 roe does
    x10 munties
    x12 fallow
    x1 cwd
    x2 sika
    x6 red
    x4 elk (park escapees)
    x5 boar(abroad)
    Nearly all as a guest here and there. The roe were shot all shot at home except 1.

I certainly haven't and am lucky to shoot 4 - 6 per year but while doing my DSC1 shooting test I met a man who asserted that he had shot "thousands" of deer.

To my amusement some of his shots were on my target, and they weren't even in the 4 inch bull either. Luckily for me he was shooting a different caliber to me and so there was no confusion. He claimed that his bad performance was down to the weather! What can I say, if he shot his thousands of deer in Ireland as he claimed and had never before shot in the rain he really must be a most remarkable stalker, though perhaps not in the way he imagined.

So, as you sort of infer in your question I suspect that most who claim thousands of deer have no idea what that means while the quiet ones who just get on with it are often the people who have shot a lot of deer and who have a lot of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by chill123 View Post
    I have spoken to a few amateur stalkers who claim they have shot over a 1000 deer . On my reckoning they would have to shoot 50 deer every year for twenty years and that would be from day one of there stalking carreer . So, simple question how many of you have honestly shot over a 1000 deer?

Chill
    well I don't have an exact number but been stalking for all most fifty years, shot my first deer at 13 shot varying yearly numbers during the 60s and 70s started contract stalking mid 80s had a 16 year period when I was culling in excess of a 1000 most years, since then to the present time around 300 a year.

So yes considerably more than a 1000, but remember its a full time job for me, so 1000 is probably quite a lot for an amateur stalker.

I'm out stalking 3-4 days a week, and then cull at 2 parks on the weekend, so i would sayin the last 5 years i have easily shot 1000 deer, but obviously the park culling does help that figure quite a bit. It would certainly be an achievement to properly stalk 1000 animals on there own turf.

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    I certainly haven't and am lucky to shoot 4 - 6 per year but while doing my DSC1 shooting test I met a man who asserted that he had shot "thousands" of deer.

To my amusement some of his shots were on my target, and they weren't even in the 4 inch bull either. Luckily for me he was shooting a different caliber to me and so there was no confusion. He claimed that his bad performance was down to the weather! What can I say, if he shot his thousands of deer in Ireland as he claimed and had never before shot in the rain he really must be a most remarkable stalker, though perhaps not in the way he imagined.

So, as you sort of infer in your question I suspect that most who claim thousands of deer have no idea what that means while the quiet ones who just get on with it are often the people who have shot a lot of deer and who have a lot of knowledge.
    +1 caorach.

I am a carpenter/sawyer by trade and have cut "thousands" of pieces of wood. Probably even from "a thousand" trees. I get out stalking when I can, on my own, on a few bits of land locally that I am lucky enough to own or have the stalking on. I help a few woodland owners out with deer control. And like you I shoot a handful of deer per year.

I was about to say I shoot around 80 per year and have done for the three years I've been shooting but then after reading the posts realised I to am a Pro stalker/keeper, therefore makes this post irrelevant.

I would think most amateurs would struggle, but I did know a man, my college lecturer, who would regularly shoot 2-3 does before classes in the AM. This was just roe, he did fallow as well and of course the bucks. So as his profession was teaching, he must be a amateur stalker and would easily surpass the 1000 deer. It would be possible but far less common than most people claim

just looked through my record for this year Since 1st april about 42 so I guess add cull hinds about 30 roe does will be 60ish so I have been stalking 40plus years.have shot a lot more this last 10 to 15 years I know but still doubt if it exceed 1000 by much.An average of 25per year for any recreational stalker is a lot IMO.

I would think most shooters dont go out very much never mind shoot any deer.However there are some stalkers on this forum that shoot regularly 150 a year these are what you call stalkers and not armchair stalkers.I know a few people that achieve this year in year out its a pity more people were not as pasionate about deer stalking.

I know a guy who has done that in the last 3-4 years!
    he is a FC stalker with a cull figure of 350 roe/red PER YEAR!!