Thread: Just Bought A Tikka 590 in .222

Just Bought A Tikka 590 in .222

Hi,
    just bought a Tikka 590 .222 Left Hand in immaculate condition, barely used. Its such a pretty rifle, really untouched I am toying with the idea o not having it threaded for moderating.

I am looking at using it for rabbits, pigeons, crows, foxes and some nice roe stalking over the border.

Anyone else not had thir 222 moderated? Thoughts?

Ian

Get it done !

No point having a mint unused rifle ( unless you are a museum ) A rile is made for one reason. To shoot get it threaded and used .

BUT not with an over barrel job that leaves a mark !!

I have a Heym SR40 LH .222 which only weighs about 6.5lbs complete with a Leupold Ultralight (compact variable).

There's no way I'm ever going to add 2 pounds of salami on the end of that. I've had the necessary Variation for over 10 years, so my FEO is an understanding sort.

I doubt that a .222 really needs a moderator. Mind you, the M590/M595 models aren't lightweight by any means. Those who have them may feel added weight isn't a consideration.

wouldn't bother, lot of money for threading/moderator etc for no real gain

Yes my 55 vintage BSA Regent in .222 Rem is, and will remain, unthreaded. Thank you.

As for splash's comment .......................... well I can only regard him as a total vandal. If all were like him there would be no collectables left and most of our firearms heritage destroyed . If that offends him. .......................... I am sure he will get over it eventually .

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Yes my 55 vintage BSA Regent in .222 Rem is, and will remain, unthreaded.
    And so will my Varberger 6.5x55.

Descision made. No mod! In fact it makes you wonder how our American cousins manage to shoot anything given they are not allowed moderators. I am beginning to think that we have an over reliance on them in the UK

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Briarquest View Post
    Descision made. No mod! In fact it makes you wonder how our American cousins manage to shoot anything given they are not allowed moderators. I am beginning to think that we have an over reliance on them in the UK

Ian
    Oh I wish I could give you a hug for that comment

I had better expand on my comments on the moderator issue. I have three rifles that are threaded a P-H 1200C in 25-06 which was brought that way, the .280 AI I built up whilst the barrel was in the lathe being faced and crowned a 1/2" UNF was cut on the new barrel and again a 1/2" UNF thread was added to my sporterised Swedish Mauser. The Mauser had already been commercially sporterised so removing the fore sight and rear sight base was not really spoiling anything as that had been done when the American firm sporterised it.

I brought a Wildcat P8 moderator so that if as some offering let days are asking for mods to be used and the new range being constructed a few miles from home has a stipulation in the planning consent that after a certain hour of the day only moderated rifles may be used there. Although I don't like the look nor balance of them much the time came that one was required. The three rifles which are 6.5x55, 25-06 and .280AI cover just about any quarry I might have the chance to hunt so I feel I am suitably covered. The intent was also to play with a Muzzle break on the .280AI.

Edit:- Oh and of course there is the .22 L/R BSA SuperSport five which is threaded .

I have a Tikka 590 In 222 L/H I had the barrel cut to 18" threaded 1/2", recrowned and use a DM80 calibre specific moderator...Lovely rifle and manageable being a bit shorter than the norm...Shoots better than I can and its a bit faster!...Enjoy It and most of all dont part with it,,,