Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do i?

How do i?

The owner of my estate i captain on has asked for the deer to be greatly reduced due to the damage to new expensive broad leaf saplings which are getting destroyed. The estate house is in Scotlands Garden scheme and enjoys the status one of Scotlands top gardens. The deer are pulling out and brashing young Acers and rhodies to the point the gardener is ready to quit... We have 8 woods which conceal the deer well and the damage seems to be happening at night and my thoughts are to obtain a night licence to reduce the damage and help the estate and gardener. Does anyone know how to obtain a night shooting licence??

if you cull more during the day, surely there will also be fewer numbers at night too then

DCS (deer commission for Scotland) I think SNH do have involvement in this though for some reason
    what kind of deer? easier to get them issued for Sika

DCS guides: Night shooting

need a hand?
    Last edited by bewsher500; 31-08-2011 at 09:39.

The land must be enclosed woodland. The owner/occupier of the ground must have a clear crop protection policy for the land and he must be able to demonstrate to SNH in his application that his crops have been or are at risk of damage by deer. You must be able to show that no other method of control in the circumstances would be adequate. Authorisation would be subject to SNH code of conduct for night shooting and nominated controllers would have to be on SNH Fit and Competent Register

"All night shooting currently has to be authorised by the DCS. The damage to justify a night shooting licence should have to be sufficiently serious to warrant both sexes of deer being shot regardless of whether they are in season or not. DCS should have to consider carefully whether the suffering consequent on failing to see or shoot a dependent young deer is justified by the damage taking place before it issues a night shooting licence in the middle of the female Close Season. "

Almost 100% Roe but i also need to get the numbers down as they are crossing a busy road through the estate wall which was holed by a Subaru owner with no insurance. They have caused a few accidents lately with the later dawns.

The land does not need to be enclosed woodland,can get one for agricultural ground as well

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quite correct about improved agricultural land. A better plan. Spend the time on here on your ground shooting deer in conjunction with a deer management plan. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    The owner of my estate i captain on has asked for the deer to be greatly reduced due to the damage to new expensive broad leaf saplings which are getting destroyed. The estate house is in Scotlands Garden scheme and enjoys the status one of Scotlands top gardens. The deer are pulling out and brashing young Acers and rhodies to the point the gardener is ready to quit... We have 8 woods which conceal the deer well and the damage seems to be happening at night and my thoughts are to obtain a night licence to reduce the damage and help the estate and gardener. Does anyone know how to obtain a night shooting licence??
    ask the FC

Contact SNH in the first instance, but you will need to be on the fit and competent register.

Normally will only issue for small numbers of deer where they can be taken out more or less at the same time, as they become lamp shy very quickly.

I have had one for Red where they tend to be in groups , don't know how they would be about issuing one for Roe

As a temporary solution which may buy you a bit of time try Blair Drummond for some Lion dung, I have never tried it but it
    is supposedly very effective at deterring deer.