Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Knife recommendations

Knife recommendations

I have a nice wooden handled PUMA knife that was given to me by my Father when I was only 12, use it for all my shooting/stalking purposes and it will probably last me a lifetime and more.

However, I was contemplating on picking up another more 'hard duty' stalking and outdoor knife, with a fixed blade, drop point or something somewhat similar, and which I don't have to be too careful with. I considered this one - http://www.scottcountry.co.uk/produc...productID=3918

My budget is around 75 or ideally less for this project. - oh, forgot to mention, it MUST be a knife which can be made VERY sharp.

Any other recommendations based on experienced usage?

The Swingblade is a nice knife to carry, works well, easy to put on an edge and cheap enough to loose too! ($40 from the States)

I have and use three knives which do all I can ask of them;

No1/ I have an EKA swingblade which is an outstanding bit of kit, not only a good blade which will sharpen well (and hold an edge) but it has the other blade which is ideal for starting the skinning of deer legs, as well as when opening the gut without pierceing the rumen. Comes in a very useful orange coulour which makes it hard to lose. http://www.swillingtonshootingsuppli...lade---Orange/

No2/ Is a Mora 2010, stainless, again takes a reasonable edge, but is flexible and comes with a dishwaher safe sheath. Probably the best designed sheath of the three. It is green so watch where you put it.
    http://www.prosharp.co.uk/detail.asp...FHunting+knife

No3/ A Spyderco "Bill Moran". It is stupidly sharp, and retains the edge very well, comes with a kydex sheath which can be bunged in the dishwasher as well as the knife. This was my most expensive knife which again comes with a very useful orange handle. This appears to have been discontinued, although you can still buy a black handled one. they have also gone up in price to above your budget, Sorry!
    http://www.shopwiki.co.uk/Spyderco-F...ducts/Spyderco

I have never payed out anywhere near the top of your budget, I am sure your choice will be hard to make. But I would not be without either of my three, they all have their uses.

Simon
    Last edited by flytie; 31-08-2011 at 12:22. Reason: Links.
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

PKL,

I recently bought a "Pendleton Lite Hunter" which is made by Cold Steel. Their advertising material is a bit much for my taste, but the knife itself has been great so far.

The attached link is to their range of Pendleton knives. They come in a range of sizes and prices.

http://www.coldsteel-uk.com/store/Pe...n-Hunters.html

Cheers,

Bob

From my experience as a witness, i would have the very popular Mora 860mg very good edge easy sharpened, easy cleaned, a inexpensive if lost, try www.forestandhill.co.uk and they have free postage.

all nice looking knives, will evaluate over the course of a few days - thanks for your input guys.

of course, more posts from other members is still appreciated.

PKL

Have a look at the A G Russell website they have loads of good knives and will ship to the uk. Anything with a RC hardness is above 52 will once sharpned hold it's edge for sometime. D2 steel is good will hold an edge.

Jase

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingstella View Post
    From my experience as a witness, i would have the very popular Mora 860mg very good edge easy sharpened, easy cleaned, a inexpensive if lost, try www.forestandhill.co.uk and they have free postage.
    Both the boning & mora knife on this 'link' are superb, good quality steel that keeps an edge & good grip. Just get a bud who messes with leather to make good sheaths.. 20yrs+ here in the use , with the boner & still going strong

I have a Bill Moran that will be up for sale due to me buying a Alan Wood from one of our members, i also have a custom made leather sheath for the knife, The knife has been used twice to gralloch thats all

Interested anyone ??

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck View Post
    I have a Bill Moran that will be up for sale due to me buying a Alan Wood from one of our members, i also have a custom made leather sheath for the knife, The knife has been used twice to gralloch thats all

Interested anyone ??
    I like the thought of the Bill Moran Drop Point with the black rubber handle....