Rifle zero - local to Southampton - help!

paulbshooting

Evening all, anyone recommend a local range or some approved ground that I could book a couple of hours or so to shoot the barrel in & zero a new 243 rifle localish if possible to Southampton? Happy to drive upto an hour and have tried the web, emailed some gun clubs but nothing obvious so far. Thanks in advance :confused:

Theres one in a railway tunnel just outside Bridport/Lyme on the a35. Probably a bit more than an hour from you though.

There's Moody's down outside Winchester which is an MOD range used by a few local clubs, you might be able to use it if you know anyone?

Bisley is not much more than an hour from Southampton too.

Theres one in a railway tunnel just outside Bridport/Lyme on the a35. Probably a bit more than an hour from you though.

The Tunnel range is near Charmouth, west of Bridport - A great range & very welcoming with superb facilities (I'm a member) They have a website - have a look. But it won't be any use for you to zero 243 as the current 25 & 50mt ranges are only for .22rf & gallery rifle calibres. If you can wait a while there will be a 100mt indoor range for up to 50cal built by early next year. Then the fun will really start!

In the meantime BDS Wessex branch shoot at East Holme a few times a year as guests of the Weymouth Gun Club and they are very welcoming too - See BDS website for details.

Ian

Thanks

The Tunnel range is near Charmouth, west of Bridport - A great range & very welcoming with superb facilities (I'm a member) They have a website - have a look. But it won't be any use for you to zero 243 as the current 25 & 50mt ranges are only for .22rf & gallery rifle calibres. If you can wait a while there will be a 100mt indoor range for up to 50cal built by early next year. Then the fun will really start!

In the meantime BDS Wessex branch shoot at East Holme a few times a year as guests of the Weymouth Gun Club and they are very welcoming too - See BDS website for details.

Ian
Many thanks for the reply, I have just joined the BDS Wessex branch so could consider the East Holme option. Great news on the Charmouth range, I am often down that part of the country. Kind regards Paul

Paul
BDS (Joint South West & Wessex Branches) are running a stand at the Dorset County Show this weekend (at Dorchester). Why not come down & see us there? You could make some good contacts.

Ian

Many thanks for the reply, I have just joined the BDS Wessex branch so could consider the East Holme option.
East Holme Range has been unavailable for a few years, due to a new/better backstop being required, but I understand that the NRA is now taking control of it from the Army.
A lot of money is going to be spent on the range, and it may be available to clubs and NRA individual members from next April.

Here you go ,45mins away right next to the A3 .Nice little club , cheap membership , Ranges 1,2 & 3 have been revamped electronic falling & old school Bisley targets .100m -400m & a new 400m being built ...
Welcome
Pm if needed ..

Here you go ,45mins away right next to the A3 .Nice little club , cheap membership , Ranges 1,2 & 3 have been revamped electronic falling & old school Bisley targets .100m -400m & a new 400m being built ...
Welcome
Pm if needed ..
Looks like you also go to the windy Moody's Down range. I was thinking about rejoining Wessex Gun Club, but not sure where they shoot nowadays. I daresay there will be a few clubs keen to get back to East Holme.

Looks like you also go to the windy Moody's Down range. I was thinking about rejoining Wessex Gun Club, but not sure where they shoot nowadays. I daresay there will be a few clubs keen to get back to East Holme.
Yeah we meet a few times a year at Moody's Down .but mainly Longmoor..

Just a thought, but what would the legal position be if you found a field with a suitable backstop, and bunged the farmer a bottle or something for letting you zero there?

Back