Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Accompanied shooting

SD Regular

Accompanied shooting

Ive got my ticket back from having the named mentor removed for my 243 .

It now reads whilst under the supervision of an experienced fox/deer stalker .

I asked the local bobby (with a good shooting background) what he would consider to be experienced stalker .
    He didnt have a clue and told me to take it up with a solicitor .

I intend to have shot a few deer by the time my renewal is due (march 2012) So therefore i will have gained enough experience and hopefully have a letter to inform the powers that be to remove this accompanied shooting .

So therefore i dont see the need to rattle any more cages .

Does any one else have this on there ticket and who is classed as experienced ?

I also have a .22 and a .17hmr on a open experienced ticket approx 10yrs
    BE PREPARED IT WASNT RAINING WHEN THEY BUILT THE ARC

Cheshire tried that one with me. When I asked the licensing manager, what makes somebody a qualified deer stalker. The only answer she could give was an estate manager!!

All they have done is changed the wording, your still restricted!!

I would challenge them about it.

ATB.

Following up on the earlier threads, have you got your DSC I yet? Regards JCS

SD Regular
    I have to say this is tosh. You effectively still have a mentor condition. Agree with JCS - whether it be right or wrong, DSCL1 should give you the evidence you need to get rid of this once and for all.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

SD Regular
    Thanks lads

Yes i have my level 1 , when i told lancs this they said " but you still havent shot a deer or fox " .
    BE PREPARED IT WASNT RAINING WHEN THEY BUILT THE ARC

So what if you haven't shot a deer or fox? Take out your camera and catch a couple of shots of deer and ask for a meeting with you FL mannager. Give him your evidence if needed and tell him to get a grip. L1 is a qualification that demonstrates your knowledge and understanding of safety, welfare and large game meat hygiene. They can't make stuff up to restrict your licence unless it's necessary. Get a letter from an 'experienced person' saying your fine. Nothing else is needed.

Simply ask, in writing, for them to clarify for you, in writing, what they mean.

There are two problems here, firstly that FEO's make up rules off the top of their heads and freely spout them over the telephone and, secondly, FAC holders roll over and accept them without question.

A lesser, third problem exists in that some stalkers enjoy their status as 'mentors' and therefore perpetuate the problem even more. Probably as some kind of power trip similar to that experienced by the 'bad' FEO's.

I 'mentor' many people but I would never have my name placed on someone elses FAC (except, possibly, a young employed under stalker).

If there is one thing to learn about all aspects of firearms admin it is this; stop using the telephone get things in writing or email!

Glyn.

SD Regular
    Paul's bang on. They really shouldn't be hassling you. Call in BASC.......
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Personally, I think all novice/newbies, should be accompanied on initial stalks , (DSC or not) until they prove them selves. After all there are good shooter, but a lot of matcho schit shots, & we dont want injured, maimed wildlife strolling around the countryside , limping & looking like horror stories, giving the shooting sportsman a bad name.
    The FLO calls up estates usually to chat about stalking licenses, what does the estate manger say........uh , i dont know what he/she shoots like , i never seen the shot or booked a stalk here !!

Nothing personal, i seen too many cowboys .

Quote Originally Posted by MrYou View Post
    Personally, I think all novice/newbies, should be accompanied on initial stalks , (DSC or not) until they prove them selves. After all there are good shooter, but a lot of matcho schit shots, & we dont want injured, maimed wildlife strolling around the countryside , limping & looking like horror stories, giving the shooting sportsman a bad name.
    The FLO calls up estates usually to chat about stalking licenses, what does the estate manger say........uh , i dont know what he/she shoots like , i never seen the shot or booked a stalk here !!

Nothing personal, i seen too many cowboys .
    To an extent I have to agree with this line of thinking but what exactly defines "An experienced fox or deer stalker" as I am just getting my condition changed so as to make it less restricting because there are many times when my "Named Mentor" is not available when I want to go out stalking or vice-versa.
    I should add that I too am with Lancashire Firearms Department and have already been through a "Mentoring" period for Fox and that "restriction/condition" has been removed from my ticket so I am now only restricted by an accompanied condition for Deer Stalking, which I accept as I personally feel that it is correct that I should show that I know what I am about when taking on deer as a regular quarry.
    However, no matter if you agree with this "condition" or not, the question still remains - "What is the criteria/definition that should be met for this condition "Experienced deer stalker" to be reasonably applied and met?