Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: human intervention

human intervention

while i was just about to treat a wasp nest yestuday .i was getting my kit out of the rear of my van when i noticed a small vixen coming down the middle of the road on a housing estate .so i sat in the rear part of my van and tried to call her to me .to my surprise on she trotted on down to me she was totaly friendly so friendly she allowed me to get up and go to the front of my van and retreive a kitkat bar for her .so i tried to get her to take it from my hand and yes she came striaght to me and took it from my hand with out showing any signs of nerves .unbeknown to her two of her comrades lay sleeping just behind me in the van .she had no fear at all .i guess human intervention had made her this way .

Would'nt have believed it if I'd been told, couple of great pics, Noel.

fantastic pics just shows how much humans interfere with nature

That's town/city foxes for you
    not fear of humans at all, something to admire
    plus a well conditioned fox too
    great pics

Quote Originally Posted by stone View Post
    plus a well conditioned fox too
    great pics
    Agreed, it's in lovely condition. Its hard to blame people for wanting to feed them when you see them like that, it's just too bad their success and intelligence puts them at odds with people like it does.

HAVN'T SEEN 1 THAT TAME SINCE I WAS A KID AND MY DAD KEPT 1 AS A PET BUT IT'S NOT SUPPRISING THE RUSSIANS EXPERIMENTED IN DOMESTICATING FOXES DURING THE COLD WAR ERA AND FOUND THAT BY SELECTING THE TAME ONES FROM EACH LITTER THEY COULD ACHEIVE DOMESTICATION IN 5 GENERATIONS WITH THEM BEING HOUSE TRAINED AND TAUGHT TRICKS COULDN'T GET RID OF THE SMELL THOUGH

We had a fox out in Cyprus that we often fed and it would eat out of our hands, it was always a bit reluctant to be touched or stroked but as CWMMAN3738 says it wouldn't take long to domesticate fox (it loved bacon grill) or the next generation.

It's the same way humans did with the wolf, kill the parents and rear the cubs within the famly/tribe environment. Any offspring that show signs of agression get rid of those (humanely) and breed from the placid ones. Then we have family friendly foxes that we could train to protect chickens. I have never once come across a breed of dog known purely for it's chicken protecting skills!

Anyone got two orphaned fox cubs I could try this experiment on?

Imagine that on the KC/RSPCA approved breed list

Quote Originally Posted by mel View Post
    We had a fox out in Cyprus that we often fed and it would eat out of our hands, it was always a bit reluctant to be touched or stroked but as CWMMAN3738 says it wouldn't take long to domesticate fox (it loved bacon grill) or the next generation.

It's the same way humans did with the wolf, kill the parents and rear the cubs within the famly/tribe environment. Any offspring that show signs of agression get rid of those (humanely) and breed from the placid ones. Then we have family friendly foxes that we could train to protect chickens. I have never once come across a breed of dog known purely for it's chicken protecting skills!

Anyone got two orphaned fox cubs I could try this experiment on?

Imagine that on the KC/RSPCA approved breed list
    They would love it, the whole bloody lot would be protected

Quote Originally Posted by nell View Post
    They would love it, the whole bloody lot would be protected
    i agree we realy shouldn't be giving them any ideas this country needs no help in screwing things up when it comes to wildlife and laws