Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wasp stings be warnd

wasp stings be warnd

i am a pest control officer by trade. each year the great wasp season comes around .and every now and again you exspect to get stung as wasps do follow your scent .2 mths ago i got stung on the back of the hand nothing great swelled up as exspected .but yesturday i treated a nest in a compost heap suited and booted for the job returnd to my van some 80+yrds away took the suit off and BANG took a hit to the throat that was it game over i couldnt even make it back round to the front of my van it reacted that quick . i started to throw up watery salarvi my head went like i was about to faint i hit the floor broke out in a MASSIVE swet all over and started to drift away .the client found me lucky as it was a remote farm house .she tried to keep me talking but i could feel myself drifting away she was becoming fader and fader .the ambulance service sent the air ambulance and mobile unit which ruind my lift dam could of got a ride in the helicopter . i spent 9.1/2 hrs in A+E in hospital in a violent shaking motion from the histamean treatment .they kept me that long because of the ana something shock i went in to and it could of recurd in another 4/5 hrs time ? gladly it didnt .i now have a epipen to carry .but it goes to show you just dont know when it can take that sort of affect on you .i realy thought my time here was up .watch them wasps boys .a greatfull noel i can tell you

That would be anaphylactic shock and not funny either - quite a few people die from that, esp. nut allergy suffers (children, etc.). I assume you've never been stung by a wasp before since one would imagine a shock would have set in then?

I got stung by 127 wasps once when I was a child (kid you notn - no pun intended), my sisters are to blame, but they're forgiven nowadays :-) . Almost killed me, but anyway, because of that, I've been told that my body could react similarly to yours if stung in the future...so I always carry some emergency gear with me, including anti-hystamine pills or a shot. You should consider the same if you are likely to react in a similar manner again,,next time there may not be a client around.

I was stung by a wasp when i was 5 years old, no problem then.
    35 years later i got stung again, within 1 1/2 hours i was in a&e with anaphylactic shock, started with a rash spreading for the sting area, then tight chest, followed by throat restriction and almost passing out.
    Apparently the seed can be set no matter how long ago the first sting was, the consultant said next time it happens i have less than 10 minutes to inject with my epipen (adrenalin) or its game over!
    But lucky for me the consultant was a deer stalker!, he started me on 3 years of treatment, once a month having an injection of wasp venom, now it shouldn't be a problem any more, touch wood.
    Cheers
    Richard

i was stung 2 mths ago on the back of the hand the useaul swelling nothing else .last year 17 got into my suit and all deliverd there share of venom .and i had no reaction at all to any of these stings .just seems if they hit you in the right spot .i have the same in the door of my van all the pills cream etc but to be honest i was never going to make it to the door i now have the epepen to carry with me .the violent shaking was something else .it was a anaphylactic shock that i went into this why they kept me in hospital as they can recure within 4/5hrs again .not good i can tell ye .

Quote Originally Posted by devon deer stalker View Post
    I was stung by a wasp when i was 5 years old, no problem then.
    35 years later i got stung again, within 1 1/2 hours i was in a&e with anaphylactic shock, started with a rash spreading for the sting area, then tight chest, followed by throat restriction and almost passing out.
    Apparently the seed can be set no matter how long ago the first sting was, the consultant said next time it happens i have less than 10 minutes to inject with my epipen (adrenalin) or its game over!
    But lucky for me the consultant was a deer stalker!, he started me on 3 years of treatment, once a month having an injection of wasp venom, now it shouldn't be a problem any more, touch wood.
    Cheers
    Richard
    all the exact same sypmtons but my reaction was under 1 minute ? i have heard of this treatment where they inject the wasp venom i shall ask my GP about this .

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    That would be anaphylactic shock and not funny either - quite a few people die from that, esp. nut allergy suffers (children, etc.). I assume you've never been stung by a wasp before since one would imagine a shock would have set in then?
    Not so. You can only have an allergic reaction if you have been exposed to something before! You need to be sensitised to have the reaction. It could be many years previously.

not that i can recall .i think the hospital knew what they were on about enough so to keep me in for the 9.1/2 hrs waiting to see if i would get a secound attack .it was not a experiannce i would wish on anyone the swetting the rash the violent shaking watery mouth tightness of the chest dryness of your lips and not being able to move any part of your body and not knowing if i was going to make it or not it was that close i kid you not .

I too was stung really badly by wasps when a boy, literally hundreds. Extraordiarily painfull but no reactions then or since from wasps. I kept bees commercially for 30 years (different venom) and was stung too many times to bother about. No problems, then one day I was stung once by a bee, and started to show signs of anyphylaxis. I told my beekeeping partner that if I slipped into unconciousness to get me to hospital. As it was, after a very unpleasant hour or so everything returned to normal. I was a bit apprehensive when I worked the bees next day but despite being stung dozens of times since, no further problems. To get a bad reaction it extremely dangerous and needs to be avoided!

your right as it was only one wasp i am thinking of employing a lad to do just wasp nest from now on for me .

ah the epi-pen it will now be the bain of you bloody life, i have to carry one for a nut allergy i have and have done for years, and the wife loves to give me a bloody ear bending every time i forget the dam thing