for the trackers amongst you....

bewsher500

I came across some "activity" the other night

ground is a mixture of planted coniferous forest, large clearings with tall, tussocky grass, surrounded by large areas of moorland grazing.
South East Scotland.

I know in addition to the Roe population there are Red deer there in pockets or more likely transient population.

a lot of tracks that didnt immediately present themselves as deer, no clear footprints, grass not squashed into the mud (ground was not that wet where it was exposed either).
Lot of flattened areas some with evidence of moss in them (no moss nearby)
No livestock can get in the area.

I have some thoughts on what caused them but would be interested to hear yours....
not the best or most exciting photos i am afraid but hopefully you can see what I mean!

tracks

IMAG0381.jpg

IMAG0382.jpg

flattened areas

IMAG0383.jpg

IMAG0385.jpg

IMAG0384.jpg

thoughts?

I'm with Basil on that one. I can be quite a worry to the paraniod when first seen. Follow the trail carefully and either along it or at an obstruction you may find a hair sample/track

duly followed, no earth at the end and no hair present in the flattened areas at all

badger could have made the tracks in the grass but there are a hell of a lot of them!

I would tend to go with the above.to make sure just clear the grass from the well used track so you have bare soil to give you footprints after a day or two.

probably badger as said ,could you get access to a trail cam? there great for that kind of stuff !

jesus really? then there are a shed load of badgers
been meaning to get a trail cam, am looking into my Bro in law getting a few cheap from the US

that'll sort it

Do Badgers eat roe deer!? that might explain the absence of bucks the other night!!

Maybe it's a local hotspot for the young at heart, you know a bit of the old HEE!HAW! :D

Just kiddin + 1 on the Badgers theory.

Rgds, Buck.

having said that ,if there are a lot of badgers you also see other signs like latrines and distinctive scrappings where they dig for worms etc or well trod runs under fences ,foxs with cubs would also leave tell tail signs ,but too late for that now,i have runs on my land that are used by every creature on it ,hares rabbits fox deer and badger ,it seems to come to life when youve been in high seat for a while

I sat for close to three hours at dusk and didnt see a sausage.
will take you word on the badgers as I have never really been in areas where they are present.
those that I have seen have dug the bejaysus out of the hillside.
this area is quite wet, cant see them digging an earth anywhere nearby. couldn't see any other digging. need to get myself a trial camera!

Back