Thread: new rifle

new rifle

Hi i am picking up a new 17 hmr at weekend what is the correct way to break it in?

Clean all transport grease from the barrell and then just shoot it mate,will take a few hundred rounds before its on song,clean it again and it will take 5-10 fouling shoots for the group to tighten back up.
    www.anglocustomrifle.co.uk
    Anglo deer management and training
    Yet another 7mm 08 user ..................... if Carlsberg made calibers.........................

I was taught many years ago, and I think was SOP: Ideally clean the barrell then clean it after each shot for the first 15 shots, then after every 5 shots 5 times, then every 15 shots.

Quote Originally Posted by NickJ View Post
    I was taught many years ago, and I think was SOP: Ideally clean the barrell then clean it after each shot for the first 15 shots, then after every 5 shots 5 times, then every 15 shots.
    Nick with a centerfire i`d agree but no need to be half as fussy with a rimfire.
    www.anglocustomrifle.co.uk
    Anglo deer management and training
    Yet another 7mm 08 user ..................... if Carlsberg made calibers.........................

Pull it through, check barrel then go get it zeroed in. Anything more fussy than that is not needed or worth the effort since you first 5 breaking in shots with be part of the zeroing process that will bring it sweet. I was hunting with my tikka in .308 after about 7 shots and then a fox on the next. Since then it's only ever pulled through before and after use and shoots perfect.