Licsence Requirements

JoeH

Quick one as i'm new. Do you need a liscence or DSC to go with someone else who has permission etc and use their rifle? Just wondering how people do it when on experience etc?

Thanks in advance

You cannot use another persons rifle, a little different to the way shotguns are treated ( borrowing under 24 hours?), you can accompany another rifleman without you having any qualifications , other than an interest in learning the stalking / hunting ways, however, if you booked a stalk with a recognised estate management scheme, or an employed stalker, you may qualify to use the "Estate" rifle. Others on here may be able to give more accurate advice.

Joe H

The short answer is yes you can. S 16(1) Firearms act 1968 allows you to borrow a rifle from 'the occupier' of any land or his servant and use it in their presence. You have to be 17 years or older and comply with the conditions on their certificate. It does not only apply to professional or estate stalkers but anyone who has stalking/shooting rights. In fact it is more liberal than the corresponding law on borrowing shotguns.

Regards

Frank

landowner, or an employee of,the landowner or the person who leases the sporting rights if the stalking was run as a business, does not cover you using a mates rifle on ground that he has the shooting on unless he owns it if he leases it does he have the sole sporting rights
does he take clients on a regular basis, if not then he does not qualify for the estate rifle scheme and its a big no no.

Hope that makes sense.

Now it happens every day that somebody lets a mate have a shot with their rifle, and the chances of getting caught are slim, but you are breaking the law and if caught expect to be prosecuted.

Its not worth it.

JoeH the estate rifle rule is very useful tool for newcomers and can permit someone to shoot who doesn’t have a licence but there are one or two very specific conditions involved. I’m not going to make a fool of myself by trying to quote it because I’ll only get it wrong in some way, but would suggest that you look it up on the BASC website.
Something that is often neglected to be mentioned though is that the shooter is not prohibited from possessing firearms or ammunition under section 21 of the firearms act 1968. This basically means you must have a clean record. You have to be eligible for the grant of a firearms certificate in order to take advantage of the estate rifle rule. Something else that is also overlooked is the age restrictions previously mentioned by Frank Homes.

Thanks all, makes a bit more sense now as i've been stalking before and wanted to be confident it wasn't illegal, particuarly as i apply for my FAC etc, i'll continue with my research!!

Bogtrotter, I don't like to disagree but you are simply wrong. Occupier is not defined and has never been tested by way of a stated case. As I said 16(1) is more liberal than borrowing a shotgun in the same circumstances.

8x 57 S.21 only applies those that have been sentenced to a term of imprisonment that bans them for 5 years or life depending (3months -3 years=5: over 3 years for life.) So you can still have a criminal record and take advantage of s.16.

Frank

Over simplification on my part Frank. Yes you can have a criminal record but you mustn't be prohibited from possession.

Bogtrotter, I don't like to disagree but you are simply wrong. Occupier is not defined and has never been tested by way of a stated case. As I said 16(1) is more liberal than borrowing a shotgun in the same circumstances.

8x 57 S.21 only applies those that have been sentenced to a term of imprisonment that bans them for 5 years or life depending (3months -3 years=5: over 3 years for life.) So you can still have a criminal record and take advantage of s.16.

Frank

Frank its true that occupier has never been clearly defined, but I would think its just a matter time until there is a test case, I use the estate rifle exemption a lot for clients but then I am the servant of the shooting tenant.

But more to the point have been told by a high ranking Police officer that they will prosecute anyone using the exemption that is not the Landowner, tenant of the land or the servant of the afore mentioned, now thats not to say they would win but personally I would rather not be the test case.

Ok been reading up on this and yes I got it wrong, I am not infalible:rofl:

However its a total minefield, Land owner tenant or sevant of no problem a bit more difficult to interperet when it comes
down to individuals with stalking rights, all Home Office guidlines states Wildlife and countrside act 1981 defination may apply.

The act states . One who has legal rights or control of land for the purpose here occupier is defined as person having the hunting and fishing rights,now it looks as if you would need to have sole rights before the exemption would apply.
For example if you have the stalking and someone else has the Game shooting who is the occupier, seems there can only be one,, very much a grey area as the intention of the estate rifle was exactly what it says it was so that someone could stalk for a day or a few days, without having to obtain a FAC.

As there seems to be no clear answer I would be very careful, bound to be a test case sooner or later.:old:

Back