Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes Sika so tough

What makes Sika so tough

Im pretty sure that everyone that has ever shot sika will have a tale to tell of hard they are.
    This is on the back of Vons sika stag thread...

I shot a large hind a couple of years ago, a perfect low neck shot at 50yds saw the deer bound forward 2 body lengths and dissapear into the trees, by the time i had called up the dog and walked up to the shot sight i was suprised that she was not as i had expected lying just inside the the trees,the very dead hind had managed to kick her self a good 15yds further into the trees,if it had been a last light shot or maybe gone over a bank it could have turned into a more dificult find.

Now at the end of the day these deer are made of flesh and blood the same as any other,so what is it that make Sika so reluctant to let go of life...

I know shot placement will be will be brought into play along with favored calibres,and im sure that most of the time all goes well,but its the perfect shots that just dont have the reaction or the results that we have come to expect from other similar or larger bodied deer......

They are really Ninja's...

I know that many on here will comment on how many Sika they have shot with whatever calibre and they almost always drop on the spot, but that is just not my experience with them. The last 2 young stags I shot a week or so ago both ran and both were shot with 150grn 308. The first went 60lbs and ran about 50-60yds into the trees, shot clipped the top of the heart. The other one same rifle right through the heart and it made it the thick end of 200yds! It weighed about the 80lb mark. Neither were particularly big. They happened to be chest shots as the first was skylined for a neck/head shot and the second was too far away in a strong wind.

It is my experience that regardless of calibre they run. I am really looking forward (in some respects) to see the faces of some guests I have out later in the season who are not familiar with sika when their stags take off after a good shot. I have no doubt the dog and I will find them but it is often a bit of an eye opener.

Ah the Japs! they swam a long way to get here & it toughened them up somewhat. Even shot well, they often run - sometimes a long way. Cheers,
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

They have a solid fixed instinct to head for deep cover. Drop them on the spot through shoulders or neck whenever possible because they will head for the worst place to find and fetch them from. Love em

Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    They have a solid fixed instinct to head for deep cover. Drop them on the spot through shoulders or neck whenever possible because they will head for the worst place to find and fetch them from. Love em
    Absolutely. I have had quite a few drop instantly after standard chest shots. I have had just as many leg it 50-150m after 130gr BT's from a 270 wrecked the chest. Funny the last dozen or so I have shot have all been with 120gr BT's from the 260rem, all have gone down, two were neck shots though.

Pound for pound, I reckon Muntjac are even more resilient than Sika. If a muntjac buck was 120lb on the hoof, they would be dangerous game...
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

I think it may be due to their compact body shape. They seem to have more" mass" for their size than other species. Muntjac are possibly similar. As for neck shots during the rut. Well you will all have noticed how massivly thick the Sika Stags neck gets in a short time due to the high rise in circulating testosterone. It can look as thick as their chest . The muscles get inflated by fluid and the skin very very thick. The hair too gets longer and denser. All contributing to withstanding bullet impact.

David

Surely it's just down to their sturdier build, bleeding out a sika is not exactly as easily cut as a red or roe in similar conditions is it. The first Sika hind I gralloched made me think I'd forgot my knife and taken a spoon with me, it was in February and the thing had plenty of fat on her too. They are just made of sturdier stuff.

I chest shot a sika hind with a 100gr .243 and she gave hardly any reaction to the shot and ran into a wood. There was some pins but hardly any blood at the strike area and I started to feel terrible.

To my relief I finally found her about 80 yards in the wood, stone dead, perfect heart shot, straight through.

Looking at the carcass she had a lot of subcutaneous fat and also in and around the pluck. My theory was that the fat acted like a bullet proof tyre and had a 'self amalgamating' effect, sealing the wounds after the bullet passed through and maintaining blood pressure just that little bit longer than otherwise, hence no blood trail - that and the fact she was obviously very fit and healthy.

But then I guess the same effect could be said for a nice fat fallow....

Alex

The problem is with language, when the Sika to English was made it was discovered that Sika have no word for dead, the nearest that could be found was "giddy-up"

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post
    The problem is with language, when the Sika to English was made it was discovered that Sika have no word for dead, the nearest that could be found was "giddy-up"

John