Thread: elderberries

elderberries

im sure many of us pick sloes but i also pick elderberries aswell simlply stew nthem with sugar to taste and keep as a cordial its great as a base for a sauce just add some stock and it is a really good cold remedy failing that mix 50/50 with vodka add some more sugar and you have elder scnapps

I'm picking some tomorrow to make wine with.

We made some cordial with them, i didnt reckon much to them, they arent very fruity..? we put quite a bit of lemon in to give it a bit of flavour.. great colour out of them though!

can be quite messy and the colour will dye anything,also I tend to use a fork, to get the berrys off the stalks which seems to take ages

any ideas to another method

just put some dissposable gloves on and pull them off dont be too worried about bitts of stalk just boil it up and pour through a sieve or hang in muslin cloth they do need a fare bit of sugar and the later you pick the better but obviously the bird like them too its not to everyone taste very simmilar to blackberry last winter i drank some with hot water very good for colds

Elderberry Benefits

Used for its antioxidant activity, to lower cholesterol, improve vision, boost the immune system, improve heart health and for coughs, colds, flu, bacterial and viral infections and tonsilitis. Elderberry juice was used to treat a flu epidemic in Panama in 1995.
    Elderberries have been a folk remedy for centuries in North America, Europe, Western Asia, and North Africa, hence the medicinal benefits of elderberries are being investigated and rediscovered. Elderberry is used for its antioxidant activity, to lower cholesterol, to improve vision, to boost the immune system, to improve heart health and for coughs, colds, flu, bacterial and viral infections and tonsilitis. Bioflavonoids and other proteins in the juice destroy the ability of cold and flu viruses to infect a cell. People with the flu who took elderberry juice reported less severe symptoms and felt better much faster than those who did not. Elderberry juice was used to treat a flu epidemic in Panama in 19951