Thread: new .17hmr

new .17hmr

Evening all,

Just taken my new CZ .17 HMR out this morning. Its fitted with a moderator, scope and harris bipod.
    Taped a target to some old railway sleepers and tried a couple test shots at 100 metres, not a single roung hit the target sheet, approx 8 x A4 paper, so moved to 25mtrs and got a perfect group about 1.5 feet away at the 5 oclock.
    Ended up getting the sight lined up and then moved back out to 100 mtrs where it put a group of 4 within a 3 inch bull. Have to say there was a bit of cross wind to contend with.

Once done took a wander around the sight and noticed some canadian geese. Thought i would take a lucky shot and managed to drop one at around 200 mtrs - luckily no wind to worry about. It may of taken about 30-40 shots to get the gun set up but have to say very happy with it now and looking forward to getting some use out of it

SD Regular
    Glad you're happy with your rifle. I can't however condone 'lucky' shots at larger wildfowl well outside what many would would consider to be the operational range of the calibre.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Quote Originally Posted by mattc View Post
    Evening all,

Just taken my new CZ .17 HMR out this morning. Its fitted with a moderator, scope and harris bipod.
    Taped a target to some old railway sleepers and tried a couple test shots at 100 metres, not a single roung hit the target sheet, approx 8 x A4 paper, so moved to 25mtrs and got a perfect group about 1.5 feet away at the 5 oclock.
    Ended up getting the sight lined up and then moved back out to 100 mtrs where it put a group of 4 within a 3 inch bull. Have to say there was a bit of cross wind to contend with.

Once done took a wander around the sight and noticed some canadian geese. Thought i would take a lucky shot and managed to drop one at around 200 mtrs - luckily no wind to worry about. It may of taken about 30-40 shots to get the gun set up but have to say very happy with it now and looking forward to getting some use out of it
    Matt...... Several issues here mate.

What the hell are you doing zeroing at 100 to start off with, start at 25 move back to 50 then back to 100. Those rounds that missed the target, where did they go ????????

Grouping at 3 inches at 100, to be fair, thats crap and nowhere near good enough to be hunting with.

Pot shots at geese at 200 yards !!! That is really bad form in my opinion. Learn to shoot safely with your new rifle, then learn to shoot accurately at 100, then hunt at 100 or less. Don't be shooting at quarry that is too big for your rifle and don't be shooting at ranges that you have not practiced at.

I do hope your post was a piss take.

Regards

Sticks

Quote Originally Posted by mattc View Post
    Thought i would take a lucky shot and managed to drop one at around 200 mtrs
    Head shot?
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Agreed. That is a large bird for the 17HMR and 200M is out if it's operational effective range under the best of conditions. (I won't even shoot prairiedogs with it past 150 yards.) I'm sure that you wouldn't stretch that kind of shot intentionally so I'm betting that someone might have sold you a line the 17's performance levels when they sold you the gun.

That aside, expect that top accuracy can take upwards of 300 rounds to develop. Clean sparingly ("Travesty!") and it will shoot better, faster.~Muir

Didnt mean to upset anyone - was led to believe the HMR was suitable for taking out a goose.
    At time of setting up had had a solid railway sleeper wall with a sand bank/hill behind - so all rounds were accounted for.

The only upside was a clean shot that took the bird instantly, not a head shot though.

As for zeroing - was told by a gent that i shot with to start at 100yards - guess may have found the easier option by trial and error

Buddy, you need someone to take you under their wing and keep you straight for a while. No harm done this time, but until you get an education, you are a cock-up waiting to happen.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Can't imagine Dorset allowing .17HMR for Geese, when some forces will not allow for Fox, especially as central science labs forward .223 Remington as the optimum calibre for Geese, do you have geese on ticket as a condition?.................. by the bye, what species of geese were they?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Can't imagine Dorset allowing .17HMR for Geese, when some forces will not allow for Fox, especially as central science labs forward .223 Remington as the optimum calibre for Geese, do you have geese on ticket as a condition?.................. by the bye, what species of geese were they?
    Canadian