Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Minox BV 8x42 BR Binoculars - Opinions???

Minox BV 8x42 BR Binoculars - Opinions???

Hi,

I have been looking at the Minox BV 8x42 BR Binoculars. They can be bought brand new for <200 and they seem a good buy.

My old binoculars are not that great and I am waiting for my annual bonus to get some Leica Geovids!! That is still a long way off so in the meantime I would like to get a decent pair of binoculars that won't break the bank!!

Has anyone had experience with the Minox bins? I am also wondering if I should get 10x42 or 8x42?

Cheers

Ross

Hi,
    Had the plain green ones 8 x 42 for two years (140.00 on Amazon from germany) and they are great value. Took a hammering in all the bad weather last winter with no probs at all. Focus is quite sensitive but OK once you get used to it. I'd love some Swaros, Zeiss or Geos too but theses are fine for my mainly woodlands stalking. Hope that helps.

I have the 8x42's and love them. the focus is sensitive, but once you get used to always keeping a finger on the focus wheel, it becomes second nature and you will be able to work sub 50yds out to 500+ yds in a matter of a split second, with exceptional clarity IMHO. Also use 7x50 zeiss now and again, but find myself going back to the minox 8x42's, they're the focus is great, and they are nice and light - waterproof too! I am no expert in optics, but I rate them highly, and have seem many 500-1,000 bino's in the stores that are not as good.

I also have a pair. The glass & build are fine with a solid feel. Focussing is very sensitive and needs more attention than most bins to get exact so that the view is perfect. Not as good to use as my Leicas but great value for money. Mine came from eb*y at 145 delivered. A guy in Oxfordshire sells them and they come from Slovakia if I remember right.
    Before you buy take a look through some Hawke and Bushnell bins - there are some good ones of the 8x42 size in their ranges - then choose.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    I also have a pair. The glass & build are fine with a solid feel. Focussing is very sensitive and needs more attention than most bins to get exact so that the view is perfect. Not as good to use as my Leicas but great value for money. Mine came from eb*y at 145 delivered. A guy in Oxfordshire sells them and they come from Slovakia if I remember right.
    Before you buy take a look through some Hawke and Bushnell bins - there are some good ones of the 8x42 size in their ranges - then choose.

Ian
    Hi Ian,

I have found the guy on e bay in Oxfordshire that sells them.

They look to be the BF range rather than the BV. Do you or anyone else know if there is a massive difference?

These are certainly cheaper than Harrison Cameras who are charging 169.99 for the BV, the BF e bay ones are coming in at 125 plus P&P.

Cheers

Ross
    Last edited by 270Buck; 05-09-2011 at 10:14.

I have a pair in 10X mag and I'm very impressed with them. My budget doesn't stretch to a grand+ for binos

SD Regular
    Ross,

I have both Minox bins and scopes and find they do the job admirably

E t R
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    Ross,

I have both Minox bins and scopes and find they do the job admirably

E t R
    Hi,

Are all Minox bins the same quality? The BF are considerably cheaper than the BV and I am wondering if it is worth spending the extra 50 on the BV?

Cheers

Ross

SD Regular
    I think only you can make that judgement - it's a personal perception thing. If you are serious about these being an interim pair, I guess it's more about getting yourt money back?
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

I have had a look through some of the BV at the Sportsmangun Centre and I was impressed.

I have not had the chance to look at the BF as I can only find them mail order only.

As these should only be an interim purchase I may get the cheaper BF, but my annual bonus is by no means guaranteed so maybe they will be used for a bit longer before I can get the Geovids!?!?!?!?!?

Has anyone personally used or owns both BF and BV so I can make my mind up and order some today?????

Cheers

Ross