Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the absolutely necessary gear when stalking?

What is the absolutely necessary gear when stalking?

Hi all. I was just thinking the other day how confusing it is for someone like me new to stalking to make sure he/she does not overspend on stalking items. I was wandering what you think is the essential gear for stalking, and what could be missed out. I have compiled a list myself, could anyone care to comment please?

I was thinking that essentials are:

Rifle and good scope (stating the obvious)
    rifle sling
    Good pair of boots (waterproof, warm etc)
    Good clothing (quiet, warm etc)
    Binoculars
    Knife

And then I though that things like Shooting sticks/bipod are good to have but not essential. Am I missing something? Many thanks!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Leaving aside clothing (presuming we are not going stalking "au naturel") then I would normally take:

Banger (Rifle)
    Bolt
    Bullets
    Binos
    Bipod/Sticks
    Blade (Knife) or two...or three...

Remembering these as the "6 B's" is the mental checklist I go through before leaving home. I also take my mobile phone and my FAC (or copy thereof).

On top of that I'd take the following:
    gloves (regular and rubber/latex)
    medium Tesco food bags (for pluck)
    wet-wipes (for cleaning hands, and knife between grallochs)
    roe sack or roe sling

Depending on the time of year I'd also take the roe calls.

If up in Scotland I'd leave my shooting sticks but take a 'proper' stick. I'd also take my GPS/map, a space blanket, some food & a small bottle of water. If I'm not sure of the weather (and who is in Scotland) I might take a fleece/waterproof as well.

Now there's a whole lot of other stuff that can end up in the belt/roe sack, just in case......

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Maybe under the heading of clothing but gloves and hat are almost essential both from a personal protection and camouflage point of view - see how easy it is to spot someone from a distance when they raise their hands or catch the sun - maybe even a face veil depending on the type of stalking.

Stick, sticks or bipod - again depending on whether woodland or hill.

Roe sack, drag line or other means of recovery if you can't get a vehicle right into the shot site.

Oh, and some ammunition helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Maybe under the heading of clothing but gloves and hat are almost essential both from a personal protection and camouflage point of view - see how easy it is to spot someone from a distance when they raise their hands or catch the sun - maybe even a face veil depending on the type of stalking.

Stick, sticks or bipod - again depending on whether woodland or hill.

Roe sack, drag line or other means of recovery if you can't get a vehicle right into the shot site.

Oh, and some ammunition helps.
    Yes, Gloves and hat I took them as part of 'clothing' so I did not make it explicitly clear. A line also helps, that is right. As for ammo, well. I have the 'killer looks'

SD Regular
    The valid point here is where you're stalking - as already pointed out, the hill can be a contrary place.
    As also pointed out, you can weigh yourself down, but I would definitely add a pull through and patch and possibly a small first aid kit.

If you go with DSCL1 answers, you may need a sherpa....!!
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Quote Originally Posted by Psyxologos View Post
    to make sure he/she does not overspend on stalking items. !
    impossible!
    Blokes will always buy crap they dont need if associated with a sport/activity they love.
    just look in any fishermans creel/bag/box and ask them how much of it they actually use!

that said I am in the "travel light" category.
    woodland - gun (dont count bolt and ammo as on the list as its pretty bloody useless without either of them!), knife sticks, binos, thin bit of rope in pocket, ziplock bag, clothing as required (hat is essential), comfortable boots (note comfortable, rather than "good" or "waterproof". all very well being expensive and goretex, doesnt help you when you go hip deep in a peat bog!)

hill - repeat as above but ham roll, chocolate biscuit, an apple and a few sheets of loo roll in pocket as it will be a long day and you never know!

+1 on the kharzi paper

I'd say you want to have:
    Rifle with bolt, mag, and a good scope.
    Bino's
    Ammo
    Wellies that don't make walloping or squeeky noises when you walk
    Trousers that don't make much noise or makes noise when you go through brush - same with jacket - loden is great.
    Hat - many possibilities here, I like a traditional stetson rimmed hat for all shooting and fishing purposes
    Depending on where you shoot, bipod and/or stick(s)
    Knife
    1x lens cloth, + 1 spare in small really small zip lock bag (if raining you WILL need a few), and DON'T ever use one that's got any dirt on it, it will scratch the lenses!
    Roe Sack containing:
    vinyl/latex gloves
    zip lock bag for offal and a small one for your mobile+copy FAC+useful numbers+permission (tend to leave FAC, etc. in car though)
    Headlamp and reflective trail markers
    baby wipes
    band aids and steri-strips (for the big cuts! - can help avoid a trip to A&E)
    a bit of paracord/rope
    bottle of water if warm day or suffering from a hangover

Now if you were heading out for a day on the Scottish hill for reds, I could add about 20 other essential items, but I assume we're talking bog-standard roe stalking where you remain within reasonable range from your car/help/food/water/etc.

but that said, if I want to go very 'simple' and light, I'd just bring:
    Rifle with bolt, mag, and a good scope.
    Bino's
    Ammo
    Wellies
    Trousers + jacket
    Hat
    bipod and/or stick(s)
    Knife
    1x lens cloth
    3ft paracord
    FAC and permission copy in the car

Rifle & Ammo
    Knives
    tow rope
    extra socks
    extra thermals
    matches and a magnesium firestarter
    survival blanket
    compass
    water
    small LED flashlight
    survival rations
    collapsible drinking cup
    first aid supplies
    surgical gloves
    Two 33 gallon trash bags. One of which is wrapped around the clothing while in the pack

That's about it. Believe it or not, this all fits into a very small pack.~Muir

For someone new to stalking, the last thing that I would recomend buying would be the rifle. Get out and use other peoples and estate rifles until you are in a position to form your own opinion of what will suit you best. The other 'last' thing that I would buy would be fancy stalking clothes.

My absolute minimum kit list would be:

Binos (2nd hand swaro 400-600)
    Knife (Mora 8.99)
    Head torch (Petzel c.20.00)
    Gralloching rope (c. 3.00)
    Disp Gloves (c.6.00/100)
    Double Sticks (Hazel free, Stoney Point c.60.00)
    Some method of transporting carcasses (Gralloching rope 3.00 - Range Rover 50,000)