What is the absolutely necessary gear when stalking?

Psyxologos

Hi all. I was just thinking the other day how confusing it is for someone like me new to stalking to make sure he/she does not overspend on stalking items. I was wandering what you think is the essential gear for stalking, and what could be missed out. I have compiled a list myself, could anyone care to comment please?

I was thinking that essentials are:

Rifle and good scope (stating the obvious)
rifle sling
Good pair of boots (waterproof, warm etc)
Good clothing (quiet, warm etc)
Binoculars
Knife

And then I though that things like Shooting sticks/bipod are good to have but not essential. Am I missing something? Many thanks!

Leaving aside clothing (presuming we are not going stalking "au naturel") then I would normally take:

Banger (Rifle)
Bolt
Bullets
Binos
Bipod/Sticks
Blade (Knife) or two...or three...

Remembering these as the "6 B's" is the mental checklist I go through before leaving home. I also take my mobile phone and my FAC (or copy thereof).

On top of that I'd take the following:
gloves (regular and rubber/latex)
medium Tesco food bags (for pluck)
wet-wipes (for cleaning hands, and knife between grallochs)
roe sack or roe sling

Depending on the time of year I'd also take the roe calls.

If up in Scotland I'd leave my shooting sticks but take a 'proper' stick. I'd also take my GPS/map, a space blanket, some food & a small bottle of water. If I'm not sure of the weather (and who is in Scotland) I might take a fleece/waterproof as well.

Now there's a whole lot of other stuff that can end up in the belt/roe sack, just in case......

willie_gunn

Maybe under the heading of clothing but gloves and hat are almost essential both from a personal protection and camouflage point of view - see how easy it is to spot someone from a distance when they raise their hands or catch the sun - maybe even a face veil depending on the type of stalking.

Stick, sticks or bipod - again depending on whether woodland or hill.

Roe sack, drag line or other means of recovery if you can't get a vehicle right into the shot site.

Oh, and some ammunition helps. ;)

Maybe under the heading of clothing but gloves and hat are almost essential both from a personal protection and camouflage point of view - see how easy it is to spot someone from a distance when they raise their hands or catch the sun - maybe even a face veil depending on the type of stalking.

Stick, sticks or bipod - again depending on whether woodland or hill.

Roe sack, drag line or other means of recovery if you can't get a vehicle right into the shot site.

Oh, and some ammunition helps. ;)

Yes, Gloves and hat I took them as part of 'clothing' so I did not make it explicitly clear. A line also helps, that is right. As for ammo, well. I have the 'killer looks' :)

The valid point here is where you're stalking - as already pointed out, the hill can be a contrary place.
As also pointed out, you can weigh yourself down, but I would definitely add a pull through and patch and possibly a small first aid kit.

If you go with DSCL1 answers, you may need a sherpa....!!

to make sure he/she does not overspend on stalking items. !

impossible!
Blokes will always buy crap they dont need if associated with a sport/activity they love.
just look in any fishermans creel/bag/box and ask them how much of it they actually use!

that said I am in the "travel light" category.
woodland - gun (dont count bolt and ammo as on the list as its pretty bloody useless without either of them!), knife sticks, binos, thin bit of rope in pocket, ziplock bag, clothing as required (hat is essential), comfortable boots (note comfortable, rather than "good" or "waterproof". all very well being expensive and goretex, doesnt help you when you go hip deep in a peat bog!)

hill - repeat as above but ham roll, chocolate biscuit, an apple and a few sheets of loo roll in pocket as it will be a long day and you never know!

I'd say you want to have:
Rifle with bolt, mag, and a good scope.
Bino's
Ammo
Wellies that don't make walloping or squeeky noises when you walk
Trousers that don't make much noise or makes noise when you go through brush - same with jacket - loden is great.
Hat - many possibilities here, I like a traditional stetson rimmed hat for all shooting and fishing purposes
Depending on where you shoot, bipod and/or stick(s)
Knife
1x lens cloth, + 1 spare in small really small zip lock bag (if raining you WILL need a few), and DON'T ever use one that's got any dirt on it, it will scratch the lenses!
Roe Sack containing:
vinyl/latex gloves
zip lock bag for offal and a small one for your mobile+copy FAC+useful numbers+permission (tend to leave FAC, etc. in car though)
Headlamp and reflective trail markers
baby wipes
band aids and steri-strips (for the big cuts! - can help avoid a trip to A&E)
a bit of paracord/rope
bottle of water if warm day or suffering from a hangover

Now if you were heading out for a day on the Scottish hill for reds, I could add about 20 other essential items, but I assume we're talking bog-standard roe stalking where you remain within reasonable range from your car/help/food/water/etc.

but that said, if I want to go very 'simple' and light, I'd just bring:
Rifle with bolt, mag, and a good scope.
Bino's
Ammo
Wellies
Trousers + jacket
Hat
bipod and/or stick(s)
Knife
1x lens cloth
3ft paracord
FAC and permission copy in the car

Rifle & Ammo
Knives
tow rope
extra socks
extra thermals
matches and a magnesium firestarter
survival blanket
compass
water
small LED flashlight
survival rations
collapsible drinking cup
first aid supplies
surgical gloves
Two 33 gallon trash bags. One of which is wrapped around the clothing while in the pack

That's about it. Believe it or not, this all fits into a very small pack.~Muir

For someone new to stalking, the last thing that I would recomend buying would be the rifle. Get out and use other peoples and estate rifles until you are in a position to form your own opinion of what will suit you best. The other 'last' thing that I would buy would be fancy stalking clothes.

My absolute minimum kit list would be:

Binos (2nd hand swaro £400-£600)
Knife (Mora £8.99)
Head torch (Petzel c.£20.00)
Gralloching rope (c. £3.00)
Disp Gloves (c.£6.00/100)
Double Sticks (Hazel free, Stoney Point c.£60.00)
Some method of transporting carcasses (Gralloching rope £3.00 - Range Rover £50,000)

Hi all. I was just thinking the other day how confusing it is for someone like me new to stalking to make sure he/she does not overspend on stalking items. I was wandering what you think is the essential gear for stalking, and what could be missed out. I have compiled a list myself, could anyone care to comment please?

I was thinking that essentials are:

Rifle and good scope (stating the obvious)
rifle sling
Good pair of boots (waterproof, warm etc)
Good clothing (quiet, warm etc)
Binoculars
Knife

And then I though that things like Shooting sticks/bipod are good to have but not essential. Am I missing something? Many thanks!

As far as essentials go: you've pretty much got it. Plus possibly a drag rope, mars bar, and ammo.

Rifle (mod, bolt, ammo....)
Binoculars
Knife
Rope/ bag
mars bar (for us fatties)
If not too comfortable with the rifle then sticks would be essential too.

They are the essentials.

In the wet, waterproof clothing is preferable. Skin is fairly waterproof though. It can be a very long day when you're cold and wet but ... essential... probably.

Just my tuppence.

DC

Last edited:
Many thanks for all the helpful comments. I appreciate it. Let me start by saying that I do own my own rifle (Browning A-Bolt in .308) and will probably buy the same in .243 when the variation goes through.

At the moment I have a Buschnell 9-18x50 Banner Dusk&Dawn Adjustable Objective Multi-X Reticle on my .308 but this will go on the .243 when I get it and I am thinking of getting a Swarovski 8x56 on the .308. I also have the deerhunter Montana jacket and trousers in brown. I also have binoculars. I cannot remember from the top of my head what they are, but I will have a look when I get home. I have two (what seem to be good) compasses but I have no idea how to use them :oops: I also have a bipod, harris replica adjustable 9-13in. I have a couple of VERY sharp huntig knives, but no known brand. Something I bought a while ago when I started wildfowling (don't ask why, I thought I might need them). :lol:

I intend to buy:

Meindl Dovre Extreme boots

The Swarovski 8x56 scope

Harkila pro shooter gloves

A rifle sling, one of those that allow you to carry the rifle as a backpack.

I do not have:

Sticks

roe sack/rope

'proper' stalking knife

I generally think that carrying a second change of clothes, torch and some supplies (water, food) is a great idea. Space and weight are a problem and need to prioritise. Surgical gloves and medical kit a great idea. Thanks!

I will be stalking in Scotland over mixed ground (hills,woodland, valley, creak) and there are Roe, Fallow and Red deer there.

Thanks again!

Depends on the type of stalking but a lot of people carry to much IMO, Rifle obviously, ammo a little more than what you think you will need, I will not start a stalk with less than five rounds, things can go wrong nothing worse than a wounded beast and no ammo.

Binos the best you can afford, though just because you cant afford Swaros it doesn't mean you can't go stalking.

And a knife thats what I would say is the essentials, a lot of things are nice to have but they are not essential.

For my own part it depends on whether I am Roe stalking or on the hill for Reds what I will carry for Roe boots or wellies depending on the weather jacket, trousers type again dependent on weather, hat with a wide brim to shade your face I never really wear gloves hands in pockets if I think there is a danger of them seeing them if I need to crawl then they are in the undergrowth ,and stalking sticks tripod homemade.

On the hill Jacket, maybe tweed maybe Deerhunter, breeks [tweed] boots and gaiters bipod on the rifle change stalking sticks for a good strong walking stick short bit of rope for dragging and of course knife, and last but not least a mars bar.

The stick has several uses its a third leg when climbing or a support for the spotting scope, if you use one on the hill as opposed to binos, I tend to use binos when actually on the hill, use the scope to identify stags before leaving the truck,
and leave scope in the truck, also stick is an aid for dragging keep the rope short tie one end to the middle of the stick
you can the use two hands to drag, the stick is easier on the hands than the rope is if you keep the rope short it lifts the stags head off the ground making dragging easier.

I do have quite a lot of gear in my truck but that is usually where it stays.

spotting scope, spare knife, change of clothes, spare pair of boots, knife sharpener, steel, bone saw, first aid kit latex gloves [ though must admit only wear them when showing someone how it should be done as probably just my imagination but always think I am going to cut myself as I don't seem to have any feeling in my hands when wearing them]:old:

Flask and piece but they go home unopened as often as not.

Depends on the type of stalking but a lot of people carry to much IMO,...

As a kid, I watched my Dad step out with a rifle in a sleeve, knife in his pocket, a piece of rope, binoculars and a walking stick. He says I take everything bar the kitchen sink. When I went with the FC Ranger to sit as he called sika stags last year, I had my rifle, a plastic bag to sit on and my knife in my pocket. Nowt else. Regards JCS

Last edited:
Depends on the type of stalking but a lot of people carry to much IMO,...
As a kid, I watched my Dad step out with a rifle in a sleeve, knife in his pocket, a piece of rope, binoculars and a walking stick. He says I take everything bar the kitchen sink. When I went with the FC Ranger to sit as he called sika stags last year, I had my rifle, a plastic bag to sit on and my knife in my pocket. Nowt else. Regards JCS

:thumb:

I found more details on my binoculars. They are 'Olivon' 8x40 And the features on it are

waterproof
fogproof
BAK4 Prism multi coated
Long eye relief
105M at 1000M

Does anyne know anything about them?

Thanks in advance!

Back