Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Muzzle Brake!?!

Muzzle Brake!?!

Recently I purchased a Sauer 202 Classic XT in 30-06 (synthetic) which I'm thinking about getting threaded for a moderator.

Thing is.... during October I will be heavily involved on the local moose hunting team and will be doing several weeks of walking with the dog through the forest terrain, therefore I want to keep the rifle as short and light as possible.

I have been thinking about the idea of using a screw on muzzle brake on it instead of the mod to keep the weight and length to a minimum but also help a little with the recoil as the 200 grainers from a 56cm barrel synthetic give a bit of a kick and I bruise really easily! As I will be wearing electronic hearing protection anyway the bang is not going to be a problem.

Does anybody have any opinions, I've never used a muzzle break so was wondering if i am over looking something !?!

Appreciate any help/ advise from the knowledgeable folk on here
    Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here

I have one on a 270. I like it. nothing quite like the echo of a unmoderated full bore blast across a valley/glen!

never really bothered about the recoil. and the recoil pad on my rifle is so old and perished it has no honeycomb holes anymore!!
    have seen a few screw on one on more modern rifles.
    not convinced they reduce recoil that much but then again modern designs may have more effect than the integrated one on mine

What about the dogs hearing?

Please bear poor ole fido in mind..

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    I have one on a 270. I like it. nothing quite like the echo of a unmoderated full bore blast across a valley/glen!

never really bothered about the recoil. and the recoil pad on my rifle is so old and perished it has no honeycomb holes anymore!!
    have seen a few screw on one on more modern rifles.
    not convinced they reduce recoil that much but then again modern designs may have more effect than the integrated one on mine

If yours is the BSA model then if you want to see how much difference it makes let me know as I have the Range adaptor still in the drawer off mine that shuts the BESA off so recoil is normal.

My kershaw brake on the rem mag takes off 80% felt recoil but doubles preceived bang.
    I love mine.
    PARDON

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    What about the dogs hearing?

Please bear poor ole fido in mind..
    Bh, The dog will be fine, he'll be over by the moose!

Thanks for the replies, does anybody have any experience of the Vais type muzzle brakes?
    Jonathan

I had a brake on a custom 7mm RM. It was one of Mike Norris', with an invisible join. It reduced the recoil a lot, although that rifle was heavy anyway.

I've just got a Sako 85 Stainless Synth in 7mm RM and will get a break for that as well when I get chance. Well worth it, but I wouldn't want to stand next to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    If yours is the BSA model then if you want to see how much difference it makes let me know as I have the Range adaptor still in the drawer off mine that shuts the BESA off so recoil is normal.
    now that would be very interesting. what does that look like? fits on the outside I am guessing

Quote Originally Posted by Border View Post
    Bloody hell Toby, I think that's a bit too "tacticool"! can you imagine the looks from the moose hunting team if I turned up with that thing on the end of my rifle!!!

I think l'll go for something a little more discreet!
    Jonathan