Muzzle Brake!?!

Jonher

Recently I purchased a Sauer 202 Classic XT in 30-06 (synthetic) which I'm thinking about getting threaded for a moderator.

Thing is.... during October I will be heavily involved on the local moose hunting team and will be doing several weeks of walking with the dog through the forest terrain, therefore I want to keep the rifle as short and light as possible.

I have been thinking about the idea of using a screw on muzzle brake on it instead of the mod to keep the weight and length to a minimum but also help a little with the recoil as the 200 grainers from a 56cm barrel synthetic give a bit of a kick and I bruise really easily! :oops: As I will be wearing electronic hearing protection anyway the bang is not going to be a problem.

Does anybody have any opinions, I've never used a muzzle break so was wondering if i am over looking something !?! :doh:

Appreciate any help/ advise from the knowledgeable folk on here :D

I have one on a 270. I like it. nothing quite like the echo of a unmoderated full bore blast across a valley/glen!

never really bothered about the recoil. and the recoil pad on my rifle is so old and perished it has no honeycomb holes anymore!!
have seen a few screw on one on more modern rifles.
not convinced they reduce recoil that much but then again modern designs may have more effect than the integrated one on mine

I have one on a 270. I like it. nothing quite like the echo of a unmoderated full bore blast across a valley/glen!

never really bothered about the recoil. and the recoil pad on my rifle is so old and perished it has no honeycomb holes anymore!!
have seen a few screw on one on more modern rifles.
not convinced they reduce recoil that much but then again modern designs may have more effect than the integrated one on mine

If yours is the BSA model then if you want to see how much difference it makes let me know as I have the Range adaptor still in the drawer off mine that shuts the BESA off so recoil is normal.

I had a brake on a custom 7mm RM. It was one of Mike Norris', with an invisible join. It reduced the recoil a lot, although that rifle was heavy anyway.

I've just got a Sako 85 Stainless Synth in 7mm RM and will get a break for that as well when I get chance. Well worth it, but I wouldn't want to stand next to it.

If yours is the BSA model then if you want to see how much difference it makes let me know as I have the Range adaptor still in the drawer off mine that shuts the BESA off so recoil is normal.

now that would be very interesting. what does that look like? fits on the outside I am guessing

Neil Mckillop made one for my 243 and it is noisy but I shoot alone and I retain the sight picture. £70. Similar to the one above but with more holes.

Kershaw on my rem mag,
rifles7-1.jpg

Hmmm I see a lot of those round ones offered and dunno but somehow they appear/look unfinished. Leaving them round must cut production time and costs same as using straight drilled holes. I tried the same ideas back in 1980/81 for a pump up air rifle then made a moderator for it instead.

Surely shaped holes or slots like BSA used on the BESA or those used by Magna Port although more costly to make do work well and after all Kelly worked the shape of his porting out using the space programmes facilities.

Muzzle brakes IMHO are for 30mm upwards.

Hmmm well don't go shooting at Reepham Moor range then as there is a cliche there that has them. You see a lot of target rifles with them on now like the new Sauer 200STR and the Tikka T3 Tactical also the Sako TRG and they have such rifles along with a few RPA's.

Those complaining about rifle weight then recoil is not new which is why BSA developed the BESA recoil reducer back in about 55. Tests show it cut recoil by 60% but perceived noise was much greater and on the indoor testing range one BSA manager ruptured an ear drum when testing it. So they then developed the range Adaptor to close it off if so desired. Like a lot of effective brakes it has shaped slots along with a few holes not just drilled holes.

I have a muzzle break on my .308 and it is a noisy and did have one on my 30-06 what I noticed is that you can get more than one shot off as the muzzle break seams to confuse deer as to the direction the shot came from. Did reduce felt recoil by around 30-40% it's worth considering, additionally the flash at dusk can be quite impressive depending on design of he muzzle break :cool:.

Back