First stag roaring today,

AlbaTaxidermy

I just aquired a new peice of ground and saw my first stag roaring for the season,apparently 2 have been roaring for the last week or 2,the young lad is will get a good stag or two this week end possibly a sika also,got him making me tee constantly all week,cant wait myself,hope to make a dvd ,:-d

Seems very early for the roaring to begin.....Older stag? marking terrirtory/gather up early? Cheers, :old:

It seems there are lots of signs that things are happening early this year. Have seen many predictions of a hard winter supposedly because of all the berries etc on the hedges. I have such a short memory that I can never tie cause to effect in retrospect. Here in sunny Devon stags were roaring last week of Aug and are now all slitty eyed and smelly. Doesn't actually mean a thing until we see when we get the first calves next year.

Very early indeed, would not expect roaring for a couple of weeks yet, nothing with us as yet if we get an early rut it will make things a little easier than last year, heard the first roar last year on 10th October which is the latest I have seen it start ever.

As we are predominately a hind forest we don't get stags until the rut starts.

Stags are still together in bunches here with us. I watched 20 or so this morning in one field although they are starting to get restless. I suspect that it will be an early rut this year and an early autumn.

Hi,

Whilst in Mid Devon last week I heard a very unfamiliar sound late one evening whichI thought was a stag roaring, would appear my assumption was correct.

D

Stags are still together in bunches here with us. I watched 20 or so this morning in one field although they are starting to get restless. I suspect that it will be an early rut this year and an early autumn.

Ditto down the valley a bit - still in groups with no sign of singles drifting around but I'm sure it's imminent. Picking fully ripened sloes at the moment so they're a bit early as well.

I think the big boys start to early and probably dont cover the hinds in that time when thet stop eating and get knackered before the vital time then they diassapear untill next time,maybe it doesnt pay to be to big,i remember watching the stags on rhum on autumn watch and seemed to be the wiree stags that have the most success as they nip in when the big stag bis preocupied with fending of,the percent of the big boys covering the hinds was low,? But they are definetly roaring these ones,hope to take some pictures this week end,

An Irish stalking friend was on the phone a short while ago.
They were out this morning in Wicklow, shot a Sika staggie and heard the first Sika whistle of this season.

HWH.

I was out in Sweden this weekend just gone and the stags were roaring big time.

No better sound on a misty evening in the forest!!!

ATB
Moses

The Sika stags have started whistling in the Borders and wallowing. Also trying to hold hinds as well. I always thought it was the daft younger ones that were prone to start off a bit earlier? At least with Sika...

Odd roars for about a week now, stags starting to wallow and break up, trees already turning , so rut could get going earlier this season, fingers crossed!

Back