Thread: Nosler 7mm 120gr Solid Base

Nosler 7mm 120gr Solid Base

Does anyone know anything about these bullets? I've got some from a bulk buy and can't find any details anywhere
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

Quote Originally Posted by bk View Post
    Does anyone know anything about these bullets? I've got some from a bulk buy and can't find any details anywhere
    There is some info on the 120gr BT Noslers on reloaders nest. Start here (7mm-08) but other loads of other 7mm info via the main listing.

7mm-08 Remington @ www.reloadersnest.com

Good luck.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

Cant get on that at the mo but is that for the solid base or the BT?
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

Quote Originally Posted by bk View Post
    Cant get on that at the mo but is that for the solid base or the BT?
    For the BT.

Putting 7mm 120gr Nosler solid base into Google you get on NoslerReloading.com

..they were designed for the 7-30 Waters at 2,700 fps. I've got a box and would like to try them in my 7mm-08 at around 2,800 fps. My max range is around 200 yards so the high ballistic coefficientcy is not needed.

Is this bullet tough enough ? It will only be used on Georgia whitetails.

Nosler fifth edition says the 120 grain Solid Base Flat Point is an excellent choice in the .284 Winchester with a short box magazine. The .284 Win. can push the 120 gr. to over 3,000 fps.

Unquote

If you are going to use a 120 gr bullet, go with the 120 gr BT. This is a very tough bullet and will stand yp tp velocities even highrt than your 7-08 can generate.
    Water expansion test from my 280 AI were quite impressive!

Unquote

And from Chuck Hawkes

Nosler......SOLID BASE bullets are essentially Ballistic Tip bullets with an ordinary lead tip instead of a plastic tip. Actually, it is the other way around, as Solid Base bullets preceded the introduction of the Ballistic Tip by several years. When a plastic tip was added to the old Solid Base, boat-tail spitzer bullet the Ballistic Tip was born and marketing history made. The popularity of the Ballistic Tip resulted in the disappearance of the Solid Base from the Nosler line for many years, but now it is back as a lower cost alternative to the Ballistic Tip. Solid Base bullets are recommended for the same range of game as the Ballistic Tips.

Unquote
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).

You guys worry too much. I mean, how do they shoot?? Dredge up some data for the 120 grain weight in your caliber and shoot it. Boat tails giving any ballistic advantage under 600 yards has been disproved, and as to accuracy, Dave Emery, the head designer for Hornady, says that they are not any more accurate than flat base. I don't use any boat tails unless I happen to try them and find that they work. My guess is that they will work fine. The bullet for the 7-30 Waters is a flat POINT, by the way.~Muir