Shotguns for Deer Management

Should shotguns be banned for use on Deer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ejg

I learnt on hear it's all about shot placement.
sooo, how are the chances for shot placement of the average stalker rifle (heavy barrel 243 with the high mag scope) at a short range running animal compared to a over under or semi auto with slugs and SGs?
I'd take the shotgun.
edi

I would use a shot gun for some types of deer control. As long as you use them with the correct shot size and make sure you do not go out side the guns capabilities i think there fine

sorry meant to say, of course only for real short range stuff.
I checked SG's once, spread didn't look great after 30m.
My shot a few boar with SG's and was happy with the result.
edi

We shoot roe with a shotgun while hunting roe with the dog. On roe #1-#3 are best out to 30 mtrs. a shot in the chest at 30mtrs will poleaxe a roe. We can't use buckshot to shoot deer because the pattern over 15mtrs is rubbish. We can shoot slug at fallow and boar. Rifle only for red and moose.
I use a 20" Remington 870 pump with rifle sights it groups at under 3"at 50 mtrs. Havn't tried the rifled choke and sabot slugs yet. Last Saterday we were hunting roe on a area where there are a lot of boar so i load the first cartridge #1s and the rest slug. I can jack out the first cartridge quickly if a boar comes.

Shotgun suggests a fast, alarmed, moving target at close range.
Rifle allows precise shot at static, unaware animal at longer range (and no 300, I mean a sensible longer range!).

I'll take the rifle thanks. Selective shooting and better venison.

Humane dispatch at close quarters yes.
Management NO
Why not bring back the bow and the crossbow,better still bring back semi auto rifles then you can all have some real fun.
Just how many holes do you people need to put in a deer before you recon its dead.
Lamping would be a good idea this side of the border too, for those of you who not already doing it.

Interesting question. Are you aware that in certain provinces of Canada deer hunting is only allowed with shotguns (no full bore). Normally done with slugs and a rifled barrel, without serious issues. Cheers, Rene.

The way i read the law only AAA on roe deer SG on the rest unless your in Scotland.

So hands up then, "How many of out there" want to bring back the ILLEGAL practice of shotguning deer apart from hamane dispatch?
If your up for it its pretty rife around Thetford especially on Muntjac
Happy slaughtering :cry:

I am for the use of a shotgun for humane dispatch, but not for the use of general control.
Surely, if you have enough deer that need controling, you would apply common sense and apply for a firearms license, then take it from there.
basil.

Max , its strange how the hunters in sweden are can use self loading rifles. Shoot roe with a shot gun. Have rifled barrels on our shotguns for fireing slugs. Ive not seen that the swedish hunter is any less ethical than the british hunter. But then we don't have people with views like you and that is why we have weapon that you can't use in the UK.

I always thought a combination gun would be a good tool for muntjac deer, the 12 bore would work well for the close deer in thick cover with the right load, and the rifle barrel for the longer shots.

Nobody raises an eye lid when you say you are using a 12 bore for driven boar so in certain circumstances with the right loads why not on deer?

Best rgds

Tahr

Jagare said:
Max , its strange how the hunters in sweden are can use self loading rifles. Shoot roe with a shot gun. Have rifled barrels on our shotguns for fireing slugs. Ive not seen that the swedish hunter is any less ethical than the british hunter. But then we don't have people with views like you and that is why we have weapon that you can't use in the UK.

here here..............Martin.

I have hunted in Europe but alas not Sweden and I would not doubt your hunting traditions and ethics but you follow your traditions and laws.
What I would not like to see in the Uk is a return to the deer drives of old and the deer once again treated like vermin, as they were by some land owners.
Semi auto's have their place in Sweden im sure but not in the UK anymore as im sure you are aware.
Even when we could own and use them as I did, they were not for taking game. Not a bad thing in my opinion.
My apologyif I caused you offence

Max

Reactions: MAH
I suspect the BDS are pushing for change in the law in an effort to stop folk shotgunning deer, legally or illegally. Problem is that even if there is a complete ban on the use of shotguns it still wont stop the poaching fraternity from taking deer with all sorts of projectile weapons and inadequate cartridges. Any ban will simply prevent law abiding folk making sensible use of a shotgun in appropriate and legal circumstances.

I think the whole question is simply irrelevant in the real world and the BDS, for entirely understandable and well intentioned reasons, have opned a can of worms which will end up inhibiting the actions of ethical, law abiding folk while doing nothing to restrain the callous bastards that take off hand shots, at moving deer 50 yards away, with a shotgun loaded with No 6 shot.

The use of shotguns on Deer is a very senitive subject but back in the early fifties I shot many Roe with a 12 bore using SSG or BB.
Not one Deer suffered as all Deer taken were at reasonable ranges and all dropped to shot, if they didn't I would have got a clip round the ear for wasting cartridges and, more importantly, losing grub meant for the table.
It was only later, back end of the fifties, that I was called up and started to mix with other shooters and heard about the cruelty of using shotguns on deer.
I couldn't understand them at first but when we got down to details I found they were using 'birdshot'.
I was horrified that such a thing took place. That anyone would even consider using such an inadequate size was unthinkable and after a while I was ashamed to even mention using a shotgun on Deer because they all assumed I used birdshot too.
So then I decided to use the .22wmr and was very successful with it too and took many more.

The law as i read it states you can shoot a deer in England with a shot using not less than . .268 dia ssg or rifle slug the later would need to be on a FAC .Scotland IS THE SAME BUT YOU MUST PROVE THAT THE DEER WERE HARMING CROPS AND HAVE A LETTER TO SAY SO FROM THE LANDOWNER, IN SCOTLAND YOU CAN USE AAA for roe deer or shot size .203. There are weight restriction but i have checked and SSG and AAA . All meet them.

Shotguns for Deer Management.

I Voted for a total ban, but wasn't going to comment on this one.
However, here is my input.
On the outskirts of Newbury last March we were driving home. Round a bend there was a Muntjac buck on the side of the road, still alive and I assumed hit by a car. I stopped and dispatched it and was all for throwing it on the bank out of sight. However, son-in-law, who is interested in learing about stalking wanted to skin an prepare it (his first oportunity).
On showing him how a week later I found No. 6 shot under the skin dotted about on both flanks.
This indicates to me that the deer probably ran between two guns, out of range and with inadequate effectiveness.
I can understand people wanting shotguns for humane dispatch but this was nothing of the sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back