Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible Lifting of Tail Docking Ban in Scotland?

Possible Lifting of Tail Docking Ban in Scotland?

I caught the tail end of a phone in with a local vet on Borders Radio yesterday, and he made a reference to the above title. He went on to comment that it is a farce that dogs can be taken south across the border to be docked and the current law was unworkable. In the case of working dogs he said he had no problem in docking and used to do it pre ban regularly.

The impression I got from him was a reconsideration of this law in the near future.

Anyone on here aware of a current update?

Last I heard was that about a year ago(?) the Government had paid for a case study into reported tail damage since the ban can into effect. I do not believe that this would have reflected a true picture as there would still be a good number of working dogs with docked tails having been done pre ban and I know of a few persons who purchased working springers from South of the Border. I would think that the study would have shown no increase in reported tail damage due to the very few non docked dogs actually working. This would not support the cause.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against tail docking, for most breeds I suppor it BUT I'm glad it was banned for the birth of my GWP at Trudvang kennels. I was worried about the looks of my pup not being done but now I have him I'm glad he has his tail. It suits him, I very much doubt a pointers tail will recieve damage while working (my undocked ex hearing dog spaniel does get damaged alot so fully support the docking of them).

I don't believe it causes the pups any distress but in the case of my GWP I'm glad the hand was forced and he kept his tail as I just plain like it!

Thought i heard it was up before Government in spring of next year , Does BASC Scotland have any info !

Quote Originally Posted by Dickyboy View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I am not against tail docking, for most breeds I suppor it BUT I'm glad it was banned for the birth of my GWP at Trudvang kennels. I was worried about the looks of my pup not being done but now I have him I'm glad he has his tail. It suits him, I very much doubt a pointers tail will recieve damage while working (my undocked ex hearing dog spaniel does get damaged alot so fully support the docking of them).

I don't believe it causes the pups any distress but in the case of my GWP I'm glad the hand was forced and he kept his tail as I just plain like it!
    Fair enough if you like it I don't, I have two GSP's docked and one undocked , I would like a pup to bring on and I would like one of my own breeding, but theirs the rub what do I do with the rest of the litter, as they are very hard to shift undocked, last litter I had did get rid but all as pets only one going to a working home, enquires but loss of interest when found they were undocked also was getting l about half what I would have got for an undocked pup
    There is still quite a lot of illegal docking going on, but would not want to get involved in that.

I do agree that from a welfare issue it does not make any difference as far as pointers are concerned unlike spaniels
    where it most certainly does.

Just had a look on SGA site and have copied the following

TAIL DOCKING SURVEY GOES LIVE

Do you own a working gun dog or terrier that accompanies you on shoots or pest control?
    If so we urge you to take part in a critically important survey on the occurrence of tail injuries in dogs.

The Scottish Parliament's ban on the docking of working dogs tails in 2007 came as a major blow to all gamekeepers and gundog owners who care about the welfare of their animals and who witness at first hand the consequences of undocked tails. As you know, the Scottish Gamekeepers Association campaigned hard against the introduction of the legislation and has rightly been at the forefront of the campaign to have it overturned.
    Our persistence in pursuing Government to re-examine the ban has been rewarded with the commissioning of new research which will look again at the impact tail docking has had on working gun dogs and terriers. This study will be conducted by the University of Glasgow and SGA chairman Alex Hogg represents us on the steering group. In order for the research to be effective he now needs you to help by taking part in the survey.
    To get involved click on
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TAIL
    The SGA has worked extremely hard for this opportunity to demonstrate the hard facts about tail docking to Government. We may not get another chance so everything now rests on your willingness to respond to this survey.
    If you are unable to fill in the electronic version of this survey please ring Glasgow University on 0141 - 330 8437 to be sent a paper version of the questionnaire.

Thats sort of what I was getting at, I too(like the working people you are trying to sell to) was a bit of a docking snob. I thought it would matter and ruin the look of him, only a few people have commented with "is it supposed to have a tail". I am glad my hand was forced as I really wanted a Trudvang pup.Its just a shame people cannot get over the fact a dogs tail is 6" longer to get a good dog with good breeding and the people who are interested don't want one because of what other people might say or think about it.Like I say I support docking in some breeds(spaniels) and have no problems with it for other breeds(I no longer think it is neccesary, but think it is still fine to do for pointers) but I wouldn't let it stop me getting a pup from an undocked litter if the breeding was good!

Dickyboy

Can you post a picture of your GWP - don't think I've ever seen one without a docked tail.

Andrew

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000712.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	9063Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000708.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	157.6 KB 
ID:	9062
    Just been in the sea and had his first swim so looks thinner than when dry.
    Again sings of the good breeding, he just takes himself of for swims when stood near water

to see his dad with a whole tail, look at trudvang kennels, our wirehairs, trudvang balder
    Last edited by Dickyboy; 08-09-2011 at 23:08.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pointer.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	189.3 KB 
ID:	9064Nice dog but I vote better without!