Mercedes G Wagon

mark-joppa

Would like to hear any feed back from anyone who has or had one.Just purchased a 1988 s/w 300d.Chassis is near mint but body is falling foul to spots of rust.

I am still mourning the sale of my 90.The birth of fourth ankle biter payed fairwell to it.This was a chance buy at reasonable money to use for lamping,stalking etc.

I have used these for 10 years + , all parts are available cheeply , if you know where from . Top motor , with right tyres. (265/75x16)

rear quart pannels, back doors are problem, take viscous fan off, & run hot. improves performance & once warm, 28+ mpg. Gear box linkages need lots of grease, to change smooth. Be wary of brakes they stop on a penny piece :eek:, when right.

Last edited:
A point in that direction would be usefull.The rear n/s back quater,light panel and door hinge have fallen foul to rust.Tried to get poverty panels from factors but all say it is a merc only part from Germany.Priced up some bits and had to pick myself up of the floor.

I wonder if they have sorted the exhaust problems out on them.. years back worked for Kwik-Fit and had customer phone up about exhaust for one.... again Merc only and over £1000 back then.................... mid-late 1980's. Trouble is these were , then anyway, batch made FOR Mercedes by about 5 firms and none were quite the same so they needed chassis No to match up an exhaust. I put chap onto a firm in Cambridge who made custom S/S systems and that was under half what Merc wanted.

Perhaps someone can enlighten me if this is still the case with the G-Wagon.

1977 I was one of the body draughtsmen designing the 11 different variants that were planned. This was in Graz Austria. Steyr Daimler Puch was the contract producer of them for Mercedes and still is. Steyr insisted on making their own version google it.
The idea then was simple panel work mainly using flat shapes with no major presswork tools needed to keep the production costs down.
A big mistake I feel is they did not use double sided galvanised panels from the start to fight the rust bug so here in Germany they are seen falling apart but still getting high second hand prices because of the star on the bonnet, daft Germans.
Supposed to be very good offroad though.
The German army version was called the "wolf".
Martin

When I was in the Middle East my boss bought a G55 for duning. It was mad off road and very difficult to get stuck.
As said with the right tyres it's excellent, 3 diff locks if I recall which is only an option on the 70 series Land Cruiser - which I'd consider it's closest off road rival.

After that, the next step up is a unimog! :D

When I was in the Middle East my boss bought a G55 for duning. It was mad off road and very difficult to get stuck.
As said with the right tyres it's excellent, 3 diff locks if I recall which is only an option on the 70 series Land Cruiser - which I'd consider it's closest off road rival.

After that, the next step up is a unimog! :D

Id rather be off road in an 80 series cruiser or a g wagen than any unimog ive ever driven.

Due to the bumper,seats(material torn and foam base has seen better days) and rear n/s back panel and door hinge upright all needing attention I popped along to local Mercedes dealer to see if replacements were available and cost.

Front bumber from Germany 960 ish + vat
Base of seat material and foam pad 700 ish + vat
Rear panels o/f side and n/s side with door upright,7 panels in total 1150 + vat

Solution

Heat bumper and straighten,shot blast and paint
Seats,well I have a big enough arse so thats sorted
Rear panel bought single peice 110 + vat and will get some box section from metal centre and fabricate something.

Try for MOT and speak to Dave 1372 who has access to some challenging off road land and see how it gets on.

It deffinatley wont fall to bits @ almost 3 tonne , there built like tanks !!

I once hit the rear of a vauxhall corsa on a country lane, the driver was skimming the missus........booooooooooooooom !! The corsa folded & i had to replace a spot light, when the fire crew came to cut them out he was also still on the phone , sqished upto the dash :lol:

Don't know whether it's still there, but Sole Bay were breaking one last time I visited Spare Parts, Vehicle Recycling, Car Breakers and Dismantlers by Sole Bay Car Spares Junk Yard, suffolk, east anglia - I know it's a long way from you but it isn't as far as Germany, and the prices are probably more reasonable... If you get a few bits, it should fairly cheap to courier them up.

Having had ML's for a few years, I sympathise on the Mercedes "think of a number and double it, add the year, and round up to the nearest hundred" pricing policy - particularly when added to their "central European storage on the top of the Matterhorn and accessed by elderly donkeys" parts delivery policy. I lost my keys last year and it was £230 plus three weeks delivery plus a trip to the dealer for a new Merc key whilst it was £6.50 for a new key for the 110 from the little shop in the local Tescos.

Knots

Back