What is the best software package to assist in load development?

For load development, there is only one package Quickload, available from JMS Arms. for exterior ballistics there are several packages, although quickload does also include exterior ballistics programs

John I have a copy of Load from a Disk which you can try.
It gives good starting points and ranges for most calibre, bullet, powder choices and you can transfer the data you end up with straight into a trajectory or Energy vs distance graph.

John,

I have quickload and load from a disk. You are welcome to come round and try them out for yourself before committing to any purchase.

Mulac

John.

I will go with Quickload but I have just played with Brian Litz new package and that is pretty good as well.

Out of curiosity, what cartridge are you developing loads for? ~Muir

I am looking at revisiting my 243 Win 105 AMax load. I have switched over to Lapua brass and am looking at alternatives to the N165 powder that I currently use. Regards JCS

I am looking at revisiting my 243 Win 105 AMax load. I have switched over to Lapua brass and am looking at alternatives to the N165 powder that I currently use. Regards JCS

what twist is your 243 because if its the standard 1 in 10 twist you could be on a hiding to nothing

You need software for that? One cartridge and one bullet?? Seems like over-kill to me.:p~Muir

Muir. Agreed, but it's with view to learning about what the software can bring to the party. The current load shoots ok (3 second places in competition), but obturates poorly. Regards JCS

i use R

its a freeware statistical / graphical software programme. although it is written with a script file, once you have mastered your script its very quick and simple to run the script with different data.

probably not a common use for this package but it works well for me.

Skipp

Muir. Agreed, but it's with view to learning about what the software can bring to the party. The current load shoots ok (3 second places in competition), but obturates poorly. Regards JCS

JCS: I'll live with poor obturation if it shoots! Still, if we're talking stalking rifles and buying "Quick Load" for one cartridge, I'd have a pause for thought. ~Muir

(But I'm a cheap SOB.....)

Back