Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice please ??

Advice please ??

Hi all as I am new to reloading I think I have dropped an almighty bollock??
    I have reloaded 20 cases with 95 grain SST Hornady heads.I have started at 4 off at 37 grains 4 off at 37.5 grains 4 off at 38 grains 4 off at 38.5 grains and 4 off at 39 grains,
    off Hogden Varget.
    Having looked after I loaded them (stupid I know ) the Hogden site states 33-35 grain max
    now what do I do with the rounds I have already loaded ??my first thought was to pull the heads and start again,if I do this will I have to neck size the cases again.
    thanks in advance for any advice.
    Seems I like learning the hard way.
    The rifle is a Sako 75 with a 1-10 twist in .243.

Quote Originally Posted by 177landy View Post
    Hi all as I am new to reloading I think I have dropped an almighty bollock??
    I have reloaded 20 cases with 95 grain SST Hornady heads.I have started at 4 off at 37 grains 4 off at 37.5 grains 4 off at 38 grains 4 off at 38.5 grains and 4 off at 39 grains,
    off Hogden Varget.
    Having looked after I loaded them (stupid I know ) the Hogden site states 33-35 grain max
    now what do I do with the rounds I have already loaded ??my first thought was to pull the heads and start again,if I do this will I have to neck size the cases again.
    thanks in advance for any advice.
    Seems I like learning the hard way.
    The rifle is a Sako 75 with a 1-10 twist in .243.
    No just pull them , should not need to resize.

At least you checked before you tried to fire them!
    Next time cross check everything first - preferably using two different sources of information.eg. the powder mfr's data & Richard Lee's book. That way you will pick up on any mistakes before you load.
    As for what to do with the ones already loaded - Definitely pull the bullets & empty the cases thoroughly - If it was a compressed load some powder will probably be stuck inside the case.
    To resize or not depends on whether you crimped the bullets in first time. If not you may get away with it but if I were you I'd necksize them just to be sure.
    You will obviously need to reprime ----- Take care if removing live primers in your press------ WEAR GOGGLES!

Ian

I shoot the same rifle, twist, etc. and at 87g I use 35.5 Varget, stated min/max were 34.5 to 38 I think it was - I'm surprised your min/max are so low in comparison, but it's probably correct of course.

my rounds clover-leaf, but the only reservation I have with Varget is that the 35.5g only fills the case between 1/2 and 2/3rds up, which I just find a disconcerning, especially if I was shooting sharply downhill and the powder was pushed forwards towards the neck - ie, there would be quite a large empty space between the primer igniting and the powder..

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    You will obviously need to reprime
    why would you need to reprime?

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    why would you need to reprime?
    +1

https://m.facebook.com/UKSHA-502164506587351/
    Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    You will obviously need to reprime -----
    As Muir pointed out to me when I had some loaded rounds that I wanted to rework. Just remove the decapping pin, or the whole rod if you want from your die.

Regards JCS

Just pull the bullets empty the powder and start again at least you noticed.By the way they are called bullets not heads,heads are on the bottom of the case hence headstamp.

or buy a kinetic hammer!

You only need to reprime if you want to remove the decapping pin from the die to facilitate this. I would decap as I prefer not to screw up my die set.

Ian