Advice please ??

Sako 3006

Hi all as I am new to reloading I think I have dropped an almighty bollock??
I have reloaded 20 cases with 95 grain SST Hornady heads.I have started at 4 off at 37 grains 4 off at 37.5 grains 4 off at 38 grains 4 off at 38.5 grains and 4 off at 39 grains,
off Hogden Varget.
Having looked after I loaded them (stupid I know ) the Hogden site states 33-35 grain max
now what do I do with the rounds I have already loaded ??my first thought was to pull the heads and start again,if I do this will I have to neck size the cases again.
thanks in advance for any advice.
Seems I like learning the hard way.:doh::doh:
The rifle is a Sako 75 with a 1-10 twist in .243.

Hi all as I am new to reloading I think I have dropped an almighty bollock??
I have reloaded 20 cases with 95 grain SST Hornady heads.I have started at 4 off at 37 grains 4 off at 37.5 grains 4 off at 38 grains 4 off at 38.5 grains and 4 off at 39 grains,
off Hogden Varget.
Having looked after I loaded them (stupid I know ) the Hogden site states 33-35 grain max
now what do I do with the rounds I have already loaded ??my first thought was to pull the heads and start again,if I do this will I have to neck size the cases again.
thanks in advance for any advice.
Seems I like learning the hard way.:doh::doh:
The rifle is a Sako 75 with a 1-10 twist in .243.

No just pull them , should not need to resize.

At least you checked before you tried to fire them!
Next time cross check everything first - preferably using two different sources of information.eg. the powder mfr's data & Richard Lee's book. That way you will pick up on any mistakes before you load.
As for what to do with the ones already loaded - Definitely pull the bullets & empty the cases thoroughly - If it was a compressed load some powder will probably be stuck inside the case.
To resize or not depends on whether you crimped the bullets in first time. If not you may get away with it but if I were you I'd necksize them just to be sure.
You will obviously need to reprime ----- Take care if removing live primers in your press------ WEAR GOGGLES!

Ian

I shoot the same rifle, twist, etc. and at 87g I use 35.5 Varget, stated min/max were 34.5 to 38 I think it was - I'm surprised your min/max are so low in comparison, but it's probably correct of course.

my rounds clover-leaf, but the only reservation I have with Varget is that the 35.5g only fills the case between 1/2 and 2/3rds up, which I just find a disconcerning, especially if I was shooting sharply downhill and the powder was pushed forwards towards the neck - ie, there would be quite a large empty space between the primer igniting and the powder..

Just pull the bullets empty the powder and start again at least you noticed.By the way they are called bullets not heads,heads are on the bottom of the case hence headstamp.

You only need to reprime if you want to remove the decapping pin from the die to facilitate this. I would decap as I prefer not to screw up my die set.

Ian

You only need to reprime if you want to remove the decapping pin from the die to facilitate this. I would decap as I prefer not to screw up my die set.

Ian

Remove a decapping pin?? HORRORS!!:scared:

Seriously, Pulling the decapping pin is safer than decapping live primers and something that a reloader should be able to do in their sleep.~Muir

Under normal circumstances, you should just be able to remove the bullets with a kinetic hammer, thoroughly empty the cases, re-charge correctly & re-seat the bullets.
You should not need to re-size the cases unless the bullets had been crimped...crimping is not usual other than for larger magnum rounds.
To re-size without removing the primer, should you feel the need, simply move the decapping pin upward inside the die, so the pin cannot remove the primer, but still goes through the neck. You can do this with both F/L dies & Neck dies.
It's no big deal to do this & should not disturb where/how your sizing die is set in the press, as it's only the de-cap pin you're moving & will screw back to the normal de-cap position afterwards.
Cheers, :old:

Last edited:
Back