Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .308 SST or Gamekings?

.308 SST or Gamekings?

Wondering what general opinion is on the above in 150grn.

I am a bit limited just now in what I can get in .308 round here. Almost fired off the last of the factory stuff and the above is all that is currently available. I have complete confidence in the Gamekings having loaded with them in numerous calibres before. Last time I loaded some rounds for a .308 I was using 125grn Ballistic Tips but they were a bit severe on Roe.

I'm not too concerned about varying individual loads that are being used or the accuracy as I will work up my own, more about the terminal performance of these particular bullets on deer/meat damage in this calibre and weight.

They will be primarily used on Sika but a few Reds as well.

Thanks.

i only use 308(150 grain) sst, they stop fallow gooooood and ive noticed no more damage than the soft points i used to use, they are very accurate.

ATB

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by 223 View Post
    i only use 308(150 grain) sst, they stop fallow gooooood and ive noticed no more damage than the soft points i used to use, they are very accurate.

ATB

Dave
    Thanks Dave.

from the pictures I've seen of recovered bullets, I'd prabably lean towards Speer BTSP, but that may of course not be available to you.

I've never tried the SST, but if it's not a bonded bullet, I'd think it would break up a bit too quickly on Sika and Reds (I can be proven wrong here of course). I haven't tried the GK's either, but have 'heard' they are a tad explosive for a SP (otherw will know more)

Should perhaps have also added that the rifle has a 20'' barrel. I would expect the MV to be around 2700-2800FPS max.

As an alternative if available to you,
    I have been loading with Nosler 150 grain ballistic tip for a few years now, very accurate, and the meat damage is less than some I have tried,
    they have been used on everything from Red to Roe, as some on here can verify.

IMO gamekings perform as well as any bullet in their class but for me the sst or nos b-tip are better bullets. The polymer tips don't deform like the gameking lead tip when loading/unloading so that's a plus and all these bullets have a good punch through.

The sst or b-tip in price comparison though lose in a big way to the gamekings at about twice the price so are they really worth the extra dosh??? I use sst's and b-tips in 150gr and both are awesome and can't chose between them. The only reason I chose these over GK's is the deforming of lead tips which annoys me. I like the aesthetic quality of a perfectly formed round.

Hi mate,

I used the 165 grn Sierra GK exclusively in my .300wm for several years and found them to be excellent. I have just started to use them in my .30-'06 too. I have no doubt that the 150 grn version would be great in a .308.

There is a lot to be said for going with what you can get the most consistant supply of and Sierra seem to readily available in most areas.

Glyn.

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    Should perhaps have also added that the rifle has a 20'' barrel. I would expect the MV to be around 2700-2800FPS max.
    I have a 20" barrel and i worked it out i was getting 2800fps with varget and a 150 sst in my Tikka. Very accurate

Quote Originally Posted by 223 View Post

ATB

Dave
    I used to use 165 sst's
    I found I had more runners
    yes I agree they were the most accurate bullet I ever used in a 30-06 but runners they produced in fallow and muntjac
    and will never shoot at reds with them ever again, been there done that but never again
    as you are shooting Sika Jamross
    then shooting through top of the shoulder will work wonders with hornaday 150 spbt's